Omni-Tracker + Brevs + FX1 = SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Omni-Tracker + Brevs + FX1 = SDE

In the quest to haul more and heavier equipment in wedding shoots, a bit of research led me to swipe up for a tabletop dolly.The PS TEchnik was out of the question so I settled for the much much cheaper Omni-Tracker. Truth be told, I can't see what the Skater can do the OT couldn't.

And the next day after it arrived from the post office, I put it to use right away. I was shooting my first Mormon wedding. I understood that nobody else was allowed to enter the temple and witness the ceremony. I was antsy as to what to put in the SDE. I figured I could pack in the prep footage and formals. But having the dolly, I figured I can squeeze in a bit more wedding stuff than I normally do.

(I actually was about to give up using it because of the cramped space, but lo and behold, I found an oval shaped table no more that 3.5 to 2.5 feet in dimensions. It begged to be used.)

That said it was great that they decided to hold another "ceremony" just before the reception. It was a simple vow and ring exchange. Being Filipinos, they felt the need to share the moment with the guests even though that actual ceremony did not have any legal or religious bearing.

It was a great "filler" to put between when they got inside the temple and when they went out.

Sheila and Greg - www.jmagbanua.com/vids/sheila_greg.wmv

Some other shots from the tracker - www.jmagbanua.com/vids/trackerjason.wmv.

Thanks for watching.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

WOW! That is an emotional piece for sure. That music is powerful.

Great Job as usual Jason. Just felt some sort of a flash transition or wipe pan or snap zoom was missing at the spot where girls are adjusting brides vail from behind (around 1/3 way into the clip) as music picks up and call for that kind of dramatic transition. But other than that, everything else were just perfect. Thanks for posting.
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Jason, I'm from the part of the US where Mormons are most heavily concentrated, so I've done a few Mormon weddings. You're very fortunate that they decided to really do up the reception (as far as I could tell from the entrance shot). Here in the states Mormon weddings are typically very low budget (especially the receptions - usually held in a gym with little to no decoration), and when you combine that with the fact that the ceremony is unrecordable it makes for a big challenge to be creative and tell an interesting story.

I thought you did a great job. There were maybe a few too many of the Omni-tracker shots in the beginning, but then again you didn't have much else to use, especially considering this was an SDE. Also, my view of the video might be a bit biased as I was already keyed to be looking for the Omni-tracker shots due to your posting.

Really, though, the video was very moving and emotional, and had a solid consistent look and feel to it. Loved the music too. What was that from?

Oh, and just so you know, anytime you see a bride in a dress with the shoulders like that you'll now know it's a Mormon bride!
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I meant to also ask how you felt about working with the Omni-tracker. I checked out the website and it seems pretty straightforward as far as setup and use. What are your thoughts?

Also, did you find that you locked the tripod head controls down when doing a movement, or did you tend to keep them free? I ask because if you don't really need to use the tripod head controls then a cheaper tripod head would work for the unit, which means it might be something I could add to my budget sooner, lol.
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Still Motion

Dude, no way- what odd timing. Just got my indislider in last week and started production on a short film that will be 100% brevis and A1 footage. We did a couple shoots last week with the slider and brevis combo and the footage is pretty slick (with of course a full lighting setup for each scene). It is certainly a very solid combo.

Just brought my indislider out for a try at a wedding today. Two exterior shots made it into the SDE, but other than that it was just too much for me to get into a rather tiny house.

Looking forward to checking out your clips.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Major Player

I suppose masochistic minds think alike, =), i'm also waiting for my Indi. =)

that snow motion clip sold me. enjoy the toys!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Ok

Could you please stop raising the bar? Maybe for a few years? Just so I can ake the semi-finals :)

Awesome work as usual Jason!

Thanks for sharing.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Anyone has a link to the "Omni-Tracker" or "indislider"? I could'nt find it back on the net, is it something like what the sell on glidetrack.com/ ?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Anyone has a link to the "Omni-Tracker" or "indislider"? I could'nt find it back on the net, is it something like what the sell on glidetrack.com/ ?
Just Google it. I found it that way.
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
Could you please stop raising the bar? Maybe for a few years?
No doubt. I just finally got myself a Merlin, then dropped $10k on an HD upgrade last week. I'm out of money, lol!
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Major Player

that's really cool Jason (as ever), and it must be great for tight spots..but it's only downside is looking for flat surfaces to use it on?

so in an ideal world, I'd use my lovely Glidetrack for outside establishing shots, and that thing for small inside detail shots

great work...
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
No doubt. I just finally got myself a Merlin, then dropped $10k on an HD upgrade last week. I'm out of money, lol!
And like a shark swooping in, does this mean any of your GL2s will be up for sale? :-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #13
Major Player

Just googled them

http://omni-tracker.com/www.omni-tracker.com.html

http://www.indifocus.com/products_indisliderpro.htm

Know the indie slider may make me want to use the pod for bigger weddings :) That things looks really cool.

How heavy OR how much of a PITA is it to use and carry?
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #14
Trustee

You made me cry, you big jerk. Now I officially hate you, too.

Man, that was great...
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #15
Major Player

You made me cry, you big jerk. Now I officially hate you, too.

Man, that was great...

LOL Vito! I have these pangs of self doubt when I watch great work like this and Travis C's stuff.

Jason, if it's not too "inside" do you have assistants and or other shooters on your events? I seem to get major pushback on the second camera or assistant idea when I propose it. Probably about 50/50 between budget or the clients perception that there will be too much distraction with more than one cam.

Do you use warm cards? I find that perfect white balance nausating literally. I'm not sure what it is but for some reason I hate it. Your vids seem so much warmer but that may be the serious Bokeh you got going on. That Brevis is a bad motor scooter:)

Still can't get over the fact that I would need to carry that much more junk around. My jobs are really short and fast paced. Your SDEs just blow away so many others highlights that take months for people to get.

Do you plan your shots ahead of time? Like a story board? Oh yeah, and boxers or briefs? :)

Mike
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques