New Wedding Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Wedding Trailer

Here's a 2 1/2 minute trailer from Santa Fe:
http://www.vladfilms.com/data/web/ilana_dan_08.mov

I've had a comment that the B&W sections don't have the full range of tones, but I kind of like that washed out look in this case (I used the Natress plug ins for FCP that Chris Jones recommended--there's a great variety of filters in there)

Thanks for any comments!
Vlad
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Heh, when I saw your post I immediately followed the link without first reading everything you wrote, and I was going to comment on the B&W footage being washed out too. I know what it's like when you want to keep a certain look but other people suggest otherwise. Ultimately, it all comes down to what you prefer. Personally though, I would just increase the black level a bit in the B&W shots just to add some nice shadows. I really enjoy the effect as well, but it makes the image look very flat and a little unappealing. Just a dab of contrast could really help spruce it up a bit, while still keeping the effect!

You really have a stunning piece of work there! I wish I could be that good! (Of course, it's always easier to critique a piece of art than it is to actually make it, right!)

I only have two other minor suggestions to make for you.

1. I found it a bit jarring when you transitioned from the color footage with the background music to the heart in the background and the bride saying "I do". The effect is awesome, especially the heart in the background. But I would suggest either having the music fade out longer so it's not so jarring, or even just keyframing the volume so it's still playing ever-so-lightly while the heart is beating.

2. The grain in the sky and some of the black suits was pretty noticeable to me near he end of the video. I'm not sure if that was the compression or the footage itself, but it might be worthwhile to run your footage through some sort of plugin to clean up the grain a little. I've never used them before, but here is a set of free plugins for Final Cut Pro which includes one for "Noise Reduction".

You really have a beautiful piece of work there! It's stunning!
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Glenn, thanks for writing, I appreciate the constructive comments. I was going for a dramatic effect in the heartbeat sequence, but maybe the transition is too abrupt.

As far as the grainy footage is concerned, it's actually quite embarrassing to admit, but I accidentally left the neutral density filter on (from some previous shots in bright sun) for a while before I noticed it and switched it off--I won't be making that mistake again!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques