DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Long speeches (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/125279-long-speeches.html)

David Schuurman July 3rd, 2008 06:01 PM

Long speeches

hi folks, i'm a newbie to wedding videography (2 weddings shot) and I'm just wondering, what's the longest speech you've ever shot?
the father of the bride at the first wedding I did talked for 40 minutes. I had to change tape between because I thought FOR SURE I'd have enough space on my first tape (20 minutes or so). Does that happen often? It sucked, I counted the pages, 15 singlespaced all together. sheesh.

Don Bloom July 3rd, 2008 09:14 PM

The longest I've ever done in 25 years of weddings is 26 minutes.
It seems rare to go on for more than about 2 to 3 but some ramble for up to 10. I always tell the people giving speeches, "if you are not a professional speaker here is a tip I got from one. Be Bright, Be Brief, Be Gone" 90 seconds is a toast - anything longer is a speech.
Don't worry I don't think you'll have too many that run 15 pages but the FOB has liberty. He paid for the wedding ;-O

Don

Vito DeFilippo July 4th, 2008 12:04 AM

I think I've gone 20 minutes or so, and thought I would die. I can't imagine a 40 minute speech at a wedding.

I would expect that to be a rarity in your future work...

Vince Baker July 4th, 2008 04:01 AM

Not sure if it is a UK thing but I often see 30 minutes speeches from Grooms and Best Men, usually the FOB is much shorter, more of a toast but I always set with a fresh tape ready for the speeches.

very bad luck to have a long speech from both groom and bestman! Never needed more than an hour for all.

Peter Jefferson July 4th, 2008 05:43 AM

2.5hrs is the longest speech session I've shot...

I had to charge the client extra for the edit itself as it far exceeded the actual edit threshold, in addition to multiple camera requirement and media.

Yes my feet got sore and yes, they were DEAD boring.

Niall Megahey July 4th, 2008 09:10 AM

The last 3 weddings i did, 2 of them lasted around 1 hour 20 min. it seems to be normal enough in Ireland to last the 40min plus on average

Rick Steele July 4th, 2008 10:45 AM

I think 15 minutes is my longest toast. The more they've had to drink the longer it takes it seems. I just can't picture somebody droning on for 45 minutes without the crowd dozing off.

My biggest issue though is some of the sermons these catholic priests deliver... 45 minutes isn't uncommon for me.

Vito DeFilippo July 4th, 2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 903149)
My biggest issue though is some of the sermons these catholic priests deliver... 45 minutes isn't uncommon for me.

I think even that's regional. Here in Montreal, a full catholic wedding with mass and communion is rarely over an hour long. I pop in a fresh tape just before it starts, and can't remember the last time I had to change tapes during the ceremony.

Hopefully not too OT...

Noa Put July 4th, 2008 03:15 PM

For Belgian weddings it's usually the groom who speaks for max 3 minutes, usually it's just to welcome the guests but 2 weeks ago I had a English/Norwegian wedding in Brussels and it seems that in both countries speeches at the reception are very common, in total I recorded 1 hour and 15 minutes of speeches done by various familymembers but the English best man won first prize with about 20 minutes on his own.
He also had a whole pile of notes in front of him, I never expected that it would last that long and I was handholding my dvx during the speech, after 10 minutes my arm started to cramp and I had to lower it to waist height so I could hold it with 2 arms and continue monitoring on the lcd. The day after it felt like I climbed a mountain. :)

Bruce Patterson July 5th, 2008 12:04 AM

I find that the father of the bride or groom usually talks the most - sometimes as much as 30 minutes. In the end it doesn't matter though since they get trimmed to about 3 minutes anyway. :)

Ethan Cooper July 5th, 2008 12:37 AM

Jeez, I'm horrified at these numbers you guys are throwing around. 30 minute speeches? Are you serious? Down here, you rarely have a speech, and if there is one it lasts all of 2 minutes. I'm glad I don't have to waste an hour of tape on long, drawn out speeches. I'd think that would be boring for everyone involved.

David Schuurman July 5th, 2008 07:09 AM

Ethan, you're lucky. Every wedding I've been to has had longish speeches. typically though the best man speeches are the worst. they're ten minutes of inside jokes trying to embarrass the groom. Most of the best man speeches I've heard have been fairly crude and uncouth too. FOB speeches I can deal with better because you can hear the love he has for his daughter in his words and that's usually cute to hear. but those best men....ugh.

William Smyth July 8th, 2008 05:21 AM

I did one wedding where the speech lasted an hour and a half. It was a Russian-Jewish wedding and half the speeches were in English then repeated in Russian. It was torture and the bride was a nightmare. Just a painful shoot.

Then last year I shot a Laotion wedding that had a two hour speech and I didn't have a clue to what anyone was saying. It was a great, fun wedding, but shooting the speech was a nightmare.

Noa Put July 8th, 2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Smyth (Post 904449)
I did one wedding where the speech lasted an hour and a half. It was a Russian-Jewish wedding and half the speeches were in English then repeated in Russian. It was torture and the bride was a nightmare. Just a painful shoot.

Then last year I shot a Laotion wedding that had a two hour speech and I didn't have a clue to what anyone was saying. It was a great, fun wedding, but shooting the speech was a nightmare.

Did the couple requested to put to 1,5 or 2 hour speech completely on dvd? Can't imagine anyone finding it fun to listen to 1 person talking that long.

Renton Maclachlan July 8th, 2008 06:18 AM

I've only done five weddings, all relatives or friends, but I have said to the couple something like: "Tell those who are giving speeches to think about the fact that what they will say is being recorded and can be viewed years later. Without wanting to cramp anyone's style, it seems better to me that matters of substance befit a wedding, and will be of lasting value, whereas trivial, inane or crude contributions will only be an embarrassment, on the day and in the future."