DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Zoom H2 w/ 8GB SD card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/125377-zoom-h2-w-8gb-sd-card.html)

Dana Salsbury July 6th, 2008 01:02 AM

Zoom H2 w/ 8GB SD card

Whoa mamma!

I use Zooms for the groom and officiant, and recently decided to buy a third to record from the PA. I bought an 8GB SD card, so I just line out and let it go. I pick it up at the end of the reception, and it still has room left. I bring with me a host of different adapters: 1/4", 1/8", XLR, RCA.

I've run into a handful of situations where the DJ simply won't let me line out or doesn't have an extra line out. Come to think of it, that's three of the last four weddings! When I have do dangle, I dangle. Needless to say, I've become more proactive in initially helping brides find DJs who both know how to use their gear and won't make everyone deaf via bad gear.

Rick Steele July 6th, 2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 903569)
and recently decided to buy a third to record from the PA.

How's this working out for you? I'm pretty disappointed in how mine records a DJ's speaker. Setting that delimitter switch to "L" really cuts down on the tone. "M" or "H" and it clips too badly.

Do you use 2CH? 4CH? 90/120 degrees? I've tried it all different ways and can't seem to find that sweet spot.

It's a nice "peace of mind" back up to my e604 drum mic but takes a lot of work in post.

Dana Salsbury July 6th, 2008 11:21 PM

It doesn't mic the speaker well at all. Usually my shotguns do a better job, which is a sad commentary. If I can't line out I just dangle it from the speaker, but I don't usually use it in post. When I do I use 2ch and position it slightly to the right, in between the tweedy and woofy. I may have to work with it more since so many DJs aren't letting me line out.

Nathan Nazeck July 7th, 2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 903924)
It doesn't mic the speaker well at all. Usually my shotguns do a better job, which is a sad commentary. If I can't line out I just dangle it from the speaker, but I don't usually use it in post. When I do I use 2ch and position it slightly to the right, in between the tweedy and woofy. I may have to work with it more since so many DJs aren't letting me line out.

It must just be the market I'm in but I have never had a DJ refuse to give me a line. We do about 40 weddings a year and I've never had a problem getting a tap. There are many that don't know how to use their own stuff but I just explain to them what I'm doing and they are usually fine with me doing it myself.

Steven Davis July 7th, 2008 07:56 AM

Less worries

Well, I just decide it's not worth the trouble most of the time to line out with the DJ. I just stick mine on a stand and let it go. Although I usually only use the H2 for live bands, not canned music. I have four shotguns at receptions, so they do a decent job.

Rick Steele July 7th, 2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Nazeck (Post 904014)
There are many that don't know how to use their own stuff but I just explain to them what I'm doing and they are usually fine with me doing it myself.

You're probably the exception to this. My DJ's are pretty much clueless about these things and I'm no expert either. But when I did do board taps it was hit and miss depending on the experience of the DJ at the time. Most of them are quickly trained franchise DJ's that do this on weekends and turnover is pretty high. But they always tried at least.

I now practice a rule of, "never depend on a client or other vendor to do my job".

Dana Salsbury July 7th, 2008 10:48 AM

Shotguns are great because they capture so many little things. I like to line out for when someone doesn't know how to talk into the mic. I can usually boost that gain a little better than the shotgun. I also get better sound for the first dance with the line out.

Dan Shallenberger July 11th, 2008 11:29 PM

Hmm, I'm with Nate here. I have maybe 2 or 3 DJs per year that don't have or don't know about an audio out. Many times when they seem clueless, I ask them if I can use their headphone out to capture just the toasts. They need it themselves more later in the night to monitor, but for toasts, most don't need it. Works perfect for me. The majority of the time, though, I get a good output from their board, even from most bands.

I've tried micing the speakers with the zoom and it stinks imo. But, better than ambient, especially when the maid of honor is holding the mic by her belly and speaks so lightly you can barely hear her and I'm facing away from the djs speakers.

Dana Salsbury July 12th, 2008 01:25 AM

One of the djs had both his line outs and headphone out filled. (I'll bring a splitter from now on).

The second dj had fabric hanging over his board rack and said he didn't want to deal with it. I've never seen a more stressed out individual. Perhaps it's because it was an outdoor reception before sundown at over 100 degrees.

The third dj said it was a copyright infringement and it would be illegal.

The fourth let me use his headphone out but right before the ceremony wanted to monitor the ambient music through his headphones, so I lost that one also. (tiny board)

Four in a row! *spit*

Renton Maclachlan July 12th, 2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 903569)
... I bought an 8GB SD card...

I was under the impression the H2 only took up to 4gb cards. Is this not so?

Dan Shallenberger July 12th, 2008 08:06 AM

Actually, yeah, I thought it maxed at 4gb. Which 8gb card did you get?

Regarding the outputs, that stinks. The audio is so nice when you can plug into a board. A splitter is a great idea though. Get a 1/4" splitter and you can always use the headphone out, dj willing.

Also, do you use auto gain? I tried it once for toasts, and it sounded weird. It's hard to know right where to set it though without auto gain. So far my guesses have worked out, but I'd love to just use auto.

Dana Salsbury July 12th, 2008 11:09 AM

I haven't tried auto gain. I figure if I need a manufactured gain, I can do it safer in post.

I use a PNY 8gb SD card I found at Circuit City. It works, but I often have a heck of a time getting it to mount. It's so hit and miss that I wish I'd just gone with 4gb. I figured it was just the manufacturer, but I was unaware of a limit. I may pick up a 4GB card and just use the 8gb card for backup.