Mount for FX-1 to accomodate wireless mic and boom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mount for FX-1 to accomodate wireless mic and boom

Hi all. I've owned an FX-1 for some time now and finally decided to add a better mic as well as a wireless microphone system in order to get better audio for events such as weddings.
The last wedding I shot I used the onboard one from twenty feet during an outdoor ceremony and, aside from the minister who was mic'd to a pa, the couple's vow exchange was horrible in pickup. B & H recommended I purchase a Beachtek DXA-4 as well as Rode NTG-2 mic w shockmount as well as a Senny EvoG2i which I just did. However, I realize that the cam only has one coldshoe attachment and this could be a problem with mounting both devices on the camera. There are some expensive mounts on B & H's site ($169.00 and $99.00) so if anyone can suggest something cheaper and that does the job, it would be appreciated. Ultimately, the rig will be going on a Bogen 501 head tripod. Also, I'd be interested in reading of anyone's experience using these two mics with their FX-1 via a Beachtek or such similar device. Thanks and best wishes.

Anthony Cipriano
Anthony Cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Anthony the answer is simple.
First contact John Woo at hantanbl@gmail.com and order his Z1 mic mount.
this will enable you to mount the exact mic mount thats on the Z1.

Next go to www.thej-rod.com and pickup their J-Rod twin mount.

this will enable you to mount a shotgun mic and wireless receiver on your Z1 mic mount.
You now have the FX1s cold shoe free for an onbaord light if you like. I use a Byerdynamic EA86 (low profile) shock mount for my NTG2 and mount my wireless receiver vertically to the other cold shoe on the J-Rod.

Although I prefer to use a HDV Handle Bracket from VF Gadgets {http://www.vfgadgets.com/grip-camera/hdv-handle-bracket).

This enables me to mount an on camera light (I use the large Sony HVL-LBP LED light) or a hard drive recorder to my cameras handle, and keep my camera from becoming too front heavy.
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3
Major Player

I actually have one of John Woos Z1 mic mount kits and the vf gadgets handle brackets available for sale if you're interested... I just decided I didn't need it..

PM me.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice Michael. I emailed John tonight for a price. I'm wondering if this whole setup isn't going to get unwieldly though...XLR adapter attached to Bogen tripod mount which I'd like to be able to leave on so I can grab the camera after the ceremony and shoot the bride and groom coming up the aisle; the Woo adapter might be the trick because I was considering buying a bracket to slap under the XLR box that would then screw into the Bogen tripod plate...too much going there! Your advice makes things a bit less complicated though I am wondering how involved the installation of the mic adapter is? I once read on a blog how you could retrofit your FX-1 to be like its XLR brother in that department but it looked really difficult to undertake.

Scott, what price are you asking for the brackets? Thanks.

Anthony
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Anthony, installing the adapter will take you all of 15 minutes.
John is selling the actual Sony parts (screws, mic holder etc.). You can purchase these from Sony themselves.

What Sony desn't sell though is the spacer that you need to attach the holder to the FX1. they probably don't sell this, in order to a bigger selling point for the Z1.

Anyway, John has these made, and it fits perfectly. He supplies yo with instructions on how to mount it, and as I said it's rather easy. The hardest thing it removing the screws that hold the plastic cover on the FX1.

Brackets suck, as they ahve to be added and removed for every shoot. And while, I would prefer having built in XLR's for the smaller form factor, the XLR adapters work well.

So, with a Beachtek adapter (I prefer the Juicedlink CX231 box), proper mic mount (Z1 mount) and a J-Rod twin attached at all times. I just have to pull out my camera, and attach my audio as I normally would, and am set to shoot for the day.

As I said, my overall form factor is larger than I would like, but only because of the XLR box.
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Mount to Accomdate FX-1

Michael. I finally got to the Ebay site and he's got up for a starting price of $95.00. I guess it's a good deal as that includes the valuable spacer which he had someone make but, t's a three day auction and I really don't want to pay a lot for this fixture owing to the fact that you have to add the other bracket to it to accomodate the two mics. I figure, as it stands, the whole combo would run over $170.00. Budget is a real issue for me especially since
I've purchased the Beachtek, Rode and Senny Evo mics from B & H. Thanks for your suggestions though. As I said before, the Juicedink was sold out online. Oh, one more question, do you have any particular settings for the Senny wireless in order to get good audio. I intend to mic either the groom or the minister. How about the XLR box? Given the fact that I've never used an XLR adapter, I'm a bit in the dark as to settings to accomodate the Rode and the Senny.

Regards,

Anthony
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano View Post
Michael. I finally got to the Ebay site and he's got up for a starting price of $95.00. I guess it's a good deal as that includes the valuable spacer which he had someone make but, t's a three day auction and I really don't want to pay a lot for this fixture owing to the fact that you have to add the other bracket to it to accomodate the two mics. I figure, as it stands, the whole combo would run over $170.00. Budget is a real issue for me especially since
I've purchased the Beachtek, Rode and Senny Evo mics from B & H. Thanks for your suggestions though. As I said before, the Juicedink was sold out online. Oh, one more question, do you have any particular settings for the Senny wireless in order to get good audio. I intend to mic either the groom or the minister. How about the XLR box? Given the fact that I've never used an XLR adapter, I'm a bit in the dark as to settings to accomodate the Rode and the Senny.

Regards,

Anthony
Anthony, for starters, the price of the Z1 assembly isn't much different as if you had purchased it from Sony. As the Z1 mic mount is around $75 normally direct from Sony. And as I said that is without the spacer, which Sony doesn't offer for sale.

Why don't you give Scott a holler and see how much he would want for his.

Oh and as for the Senny wireless, I don't use the Senny, but rather a Samson Micro 32 wireless set. The Senny is better than the Samson, but money was an issue for me at the time as well, as I needed 2 wireless sets and wireless handheld mic. Also the Samson functions differently than the Senny.

Check here for a video tutorial on running the Senny wireless.
http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm

As for the XLR adapter, their pretty staright forward.
Plug the 1/8 mic cable form the adapter into your 1/8 mic port on your camera.
Then plug your XLR cables for your mics and wireless into the XLR ports, and adjust your volume accordingly. Monitor your audio with headphones during your shoot and make sure that your camera volume is set just above the halfway point to ensure accurate monitoring.
Also, make sure that you monitor your incoming audio from time to time on your LCD or viewfinder, to make sure that you aren't clipping your audio.
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

FX-1 Mount

Your probably right re the overall price of the mount AND the spacer but I really don't want to have to pay an exaggerated sum just because it's on auction. Right now the price is
at $95.00. I'll try Scott later on to see what he wants. Hope his unit comes with instructions as regards mounting like Woos though. Thanks for the link to the tutorial too.
My biggest concern in using both the Rode and the Senny is to screw up the audio especially during the ceremony. I hope the Beachtek has a manual as to what to set the audio level to avoid distortion. I hear that a problem with this make is that you can hear audible "clicks" during taping as to you raise or lower the volume setting. I'll just have to experiment before the ceremony to get it right. Thanks for the input.

Anthony
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano View Post
Your probably right re the overall price of the mount AND the spacer but I really don't want to have to pay an exaggerated sum just because it's on auction. Right now the price is
at $95.00. I'll try Scott later on to see what he wants. Hope his unit comes with instructions as regards mounting like Woos though. Thanks for the link to the tutorial too.
My biggest concern in using both the Rode and the Senny is to screw up the audio especially during the ceremony. I hope the Beachtek has a manual as to what to set the audio level to avoid distortion. I hear that a problem with this make is that you can hear audible "clicks" during taping as to you raise or lower the volume setting. I'll just have to experiment before the ceremony to get it right. Thanks for the input.

Anthony
Anthony, you won't have a problem with the Beachtek and your audio as long as you are monitoring it in camera with headphones, and watching the audio levels (which should be around -12db on your meter. Do not go to 0db and clip int he red), then you will be fine.

The key is to always monitor your audio and adjust your levels accordingly with the Beachteks level knobs. As for the audio, test it out before the event and make sure that you know how to use it, in order to avoid surprises in the field. Events are not for major equipment testing.

Also, did you try to contact John directly at the email address that I gave you (hantanbl@gmail.com). This is how I was always able to contact him.
And BTW, here's his photobucket page showing the mic mount and how it looks mounted.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...rst_widget.pbw

I believe that the normal price of the adapter from him was around $85 or so.
You can get other brackets if you like, but I ahve tried many and found that my solution of the actual mic mount at the least made my setup much more manageable. And the addition of the J-Rod twin mount makes my setup even more streamlined for a shotgun and wireless. And leaves more room on the camera for other additions like light or hard drives recorders.

Oh and if you go with justteh mic mount, you could still mount your wireless on the FX1 cold shoe. Or, someone came up with a good idea of mounting your wireless to the side of your tripod head via the 1/4 threads tht are on the side of Bogen mounts.

Pretty cool idea.
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Mount for fx-1

Michael, I spoke to Scott and he has both the Woo mount and a VF Gadgets mini-HDV bracket that mounts right over the handle and that you can screw a coldshoe attachment onto. I'm trying out a new Rode NTG-2 mic but I already own the Rode Vidmic. Both will mount on the Woo device from what I see from the photo. Thanks. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the new Rode unless there's some real advantage over the Videomic aside from that fact that it's XLR. I tried out the Senny G2s and they're great. Do you have any recommendations as to an relatively inexpensive camera light and wide angle lens? Any experience with a Raynox .7 or fisheye? I'd like something that doesn't add a lot of weight.
Also, can you recommend a guide on the use of "warm cards?" This week, I took delivery of a set of "warm cards" recommended by B&H but they're digital camera size and, given the size of the FX-1 lens (72mm) they really don't fill the screen. Perhaps I should have sprung for the video cam warm cards?

Hey, hope you're busy in this wedding season and making money, most important of all!
Thanks for listening and your kind advice.

Cheers,

Anthony
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I have the z1 but I've never found a place to mount my audio technica wireless receiver that i like. Its bigger and heavier than the Senny so hanging it off the mic mount with jrod would make the camera unbalance and too hard to hold. Clipping it to the belt means your tied to the camera which I don't like either. right now I have it velcroed to the top handle but it takes away that holding position, can interfer with my line of sight, and easily gets knocked off.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Bracket For FX-1

Look at the VF Gadgets mini-HDV bracket online. I beleive it lists for $75.00 and it bolts directly around the handle of your Z-1. You'll have to purchase a "cold shoe" screwmount bracket to that in order to affix your wireless receiver. This seems to be the neatest way to mount addons. Here's the link: http://www.vfgadgets.com/grip-camera/hdv-handle-bracket

Good luck.

Anthony
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #13
Trustee

The VF handle Bracket is a very good choice, as is the Delvcam DELVG10801 Handle bracket.

The Delvcam bracket is a bit larger than the VF Gadets Bracket, as it also has teh ability for cable management as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...acket_for.html

I have both and prefer the VF Gadgets bracket, only because I don't have the need for cable management, as I use the handle bracket mainly for mounting my large Sony HVL-LBP led light on my camera handle to keep better camera balance.

But for times where I might need cable management like mounting an additional wireless (like you mentioned) or hard drive recorder, then the Delvcam is my choice, so I can keep my cables neat.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I like the "mini rover" bracket available from B&H for $64.95, which has a top shoe mount that can hold a shotgun mic and an arm extending out from the camera where you could put a wireless receiver. In addition to mounting gear it also improves hand-held stability, if you don't mind taking one hand off the camera to grip the bracket.

I've also used the above in combination with the "Bracket1" receiver mount for the right side of the camera, which can hold two wireless receivers if you're clever about mounting them. Combine both brackets and you can have both a shotgun and wireless mic plus a light on the FX1 shoe at the front of the camera.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hey Michael. Do you have any particular settings for the Zoom H2 when taping a solist at a wedding. We're talking musical instrument here; not sure there is singing by the artist either.
I've been playing with it over past few week and decided to set the ACGi to the "concert" setting but not sure about recording level, 100+?. The H2 will be on a mic stand to the side of her. Also, what's the best way to lavalier mic the groom and where does he put the transmitter; I assume in his pants pocket? You were right, the video tutorial on the Senny was great. I appreciate your thoughts.

Anthony Cipriano
Anthony Cipriano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques