DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   First SDE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/125416-first-sde.html)

Konrad Czystowski July 6th, 2008 03:32 PM

First SDE

This was crazy idea, but I managed to pull this one off. It was my first one, with tight schedule, one shooter and assistant (good friend of mine, who knows nothing abut video).
To make things harder i had only one small battery for HV20 for whole day (importing, ceremony, reception).

Thanks to Matt, who was driving all day, I had also a little bit more time to edit while on the road. He was a huge help. He also helped with shooting and other little things.

It was a surprise for the couple. They knew only about the e-clip being showed.
The couple's reaction and their faces at the end of the day is what makes me love my job even more.

I know I messed up with the shoe and ring shot. As always, the excuse would be... time :)
The good thing is, I do have better shots and I will spent more time on coloring them for the highlights.

http://www.vimeo.com/1289005

Louis Maddalena July 6th, 2008 05:07 PM

so that was all shot with an HV20?

and then captured? all on one battery? I am very impressed with that camera after seeing what you did with it.

Greatly enjoyed the edit, very well done. I felt it was a little long though, some parts seamed to drag on.

Konrad Czystowski July 6th, 2008 06:50 PM

Nope, Louis.
It was all A1. HV20 was just a second camera and for capturing.

Matthew Ebenezer July 6th, 2008 09:40 PM

Hey Konrad,

I thought you did a top job - especially with it being your first SDE - and doing it pretty much by yourself!

The audio soundbites of people talking seemed a bit random and I felt they interrupted the flow of things but overall ... good job!

I know what you're saying about people's reactions. We did our first SDE a week or so ago and the buzz you get being in the room as everyone watches is highly addictive. Not to mention the adrenaline rush from trying to finish the edit on time!

Cheers,

Matthew.

David Schuurman July 6th, 2008 09:50 PM

that was really good. I'm so intrigued by SDE's, but I gotta perfect everything else first lol. I watched your e-clip of that couple on vimeo and instantly recognized the burlington waterfront, then I saw that you're from burlington. Awesome. I'm up the street in Waterdown.

congratulations on a super SDE, I liked the audio clips toox, a bit loud maybe at first but still, great job.

Konrad Czystowski July 8th, 2008 07:16 AM

Thanks Matthew,
I think I know what you mean about the soundbites, however I wanted to include them to add some depth to the preps. Girls were talking and chatting, so why not include it?
You right about the adrenaline rush. It must have been funny to look at me during final tweaking of the clip, when I couldn't even seat in one place. Mostly that I was hiding everything form the couple.
After the e-clip shown, B&G were already standing from their seats... and when they saw first take of the SDE, the bride said loudly: "Konrad, what is this... Oh my God..." and then she couldn't say a word.

Konrad Czystowski July 8th, 2008 07:21 AM

Thanks David, my neighbor.
I really enjoy shooting in Burlington. There is a lot of nice places here.
Next time I should maybe do something in Waterdown. I like it a lot too.

Cheers

John Stakes July 8th, 2008 07:38 AM

I was going to say...I knew that was the XH A1 by the crispness in the first 2 seconds of the clip. If someone told me that was the HV20 then I would consider quitting my job : )

Great work...The only SDE I have done so far is a commercial. Haven't tackled the weddings yet. The talking didn't bother me that much because it is rare that people include it. Great color too. Was it a preset, or done in post? Looks like post to me...

-JS

Jason Magbanua July 8th, 2008 09:22 AM

Ok so now I can't decide whether I like super saturated colors or subtle muted ones.

That was gorgeous. And light years ahead of my first SDE. Thanks for posting.

The A1 looks good, I was fully convinced you had a 35mm adapter there especially for the preps.

Cheers!

David Schuurman July 8th, 2008 04:09 PM

yeah if you come through waterdown there's some great natural shoot locations. Towns bursting at the seams though.

if you ever want a second shooter I'd be glad to assist. especially if you're doing an SDE, wowie!

Konrad Czystowski July 9th, 2008 09:57 AM

Thanks guys,
John, colors were done in post. I wish I had more time for that though. But isn't it always the case with SDEs?
Jason, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I always struggle with the colors too, not to mention that I still have a lot to learn.
I personally don't like too too much saturation, but I usually like warmer look, if you know what I mean. But to achieve now, it is different story. I don't always get results I want... yet :)