Bride Called Regarding Photographer Missing Important Shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Trustee

Bride Called Regarding Photographer Missing Important Shot

I just got a call from one of my June brides (and close friend of my wife) who told me the photographer missed an important shot (just didn't set it up or pose it) and wanted to know if I could pull some frames from my video. This is the third bride I've had call needing some screen grabs from my footage.

Fortunately for her, I was actually sitting facing her and the audience in a little alcove, so I might have some pretty good shots of the B&G.

Unfortunately, the backdrop will be busy, there is probably going to be combing and other NTSC SD based artifacts. I told her the maximum printable size would probably be around 3x5 or so. I have never actually printed off a picture from my camera (GL2).

So two questions....

1) Anyone have experience actually printing off frame grabs? If so, mind sharing the details?

2) Anyone want to guess what shot was missed, just for fun?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Major Player

1) Yes I have printed screen grabs from 1080HD and it came out nicely. Not nearly as good quality as a still camera would have done, but I have done it. It came out pretty nicely for being taken from a video camera.

2) Exchanging of the rings?
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
1) Yes I have printed screen grabs from 1080HD and it came out nicely. Not nearly as good quality as a still camera would have done, but I have done it. It came out pretty nicely for being taken from a video camera.
I guess I should clarify that I'm shooting with a Canon GL2 and at this ceremony I had my tape deck / emergency backup cam (Panasonic PV-GS320) in the balcony on wide (so no closeups).

The missed shot was a good guess, but not the one that was missed. I'd love to give a clue, but I'll wait until I get more guesses.
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Major Player

processional?
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Geez don't tell me he missed the kiss...

I've printed stills even from SD, although it certainly works better with HD cameras!

You probably will need to work to find the "best" frame - the photog shoots maybe 3-5 frames/sec, you're shooting a few more... giving options! Once you've pulled a frame grab (it's fairly simple in Vegas, but I'm sure other NLE's will do the trick), you probably want to do some photoshop magic - there's usually a deinterlace filter floating around in most photo editors that will take care of the comib effect.

Probably fiddle with various sharpening/blur/vignette/border options.

With SD you "may" be able to go to 5x7, but 4x6 will probably be it...

I'm actually toying with the SR11 because it can shoot stills simultaneous at a pretty decent resolution - for those "lo budget" jobs it may be a passable solution. With the economy and my locale not being high $ to start with, I'm looking at some different approaches to meeting the market...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Trustee

Close!

Two more very good guesses, but not quite right. If you are familiar with the web site "FailBlog.org" think epic fail.
Old July 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Major Player

getting in/out of the limo?

I WANT TO WIN THIS GAME!
Old July 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Inner Circle

my mommy won't let me play the game:-( BUT as for printing freeze frames, I've gotten very good quality at 5X7.I
pull a freeze in Vegas, then bring it into Photoshop. Set the properites to 300dpi resize the image to 4X6 or 5X7, deinterlace it and print it.
Let's face it. It's not as good as a print from a 10megapixel still camera but it is at the least passable and in many cases more than that.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
BUT as for printing freeze frames, I've gotten very good quality at 5X7.I pull a freeze in Vegas, then bring it into Photoshop. Set the properites to 300dpi resize the image to 4X6 or 5X7, deinterlace it and print it. Let's face it. It's not as good as a print from a 10megapixel still camera but it is at the least passable and in many cases more than that.
Don
so Photoshop has a "preset" filter for deinterlacing? Interesting. Wish I had PS. :-) Any idea if Vegas can do the deinterlacing as well as PS?
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
so Photoshop has a "preset" filter for deinterlacing? Interesting. Wish I had PS. :-) Any idea if Vegas can do the deinterlacing as well as PS?
You can certainly deinterlace with Vegas-is it as good as PS? Don't know but don't see why not.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Major Player

the whole ceremony?

didn't even go to the wedding?

had the camera facing backwards the whole time?
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Major Player

The unity candle
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #13
Major Player

Jason, check out the utility - Topaz Moment.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Jason,
I echo these guys in that HD does pull stills very well. I have printed several DVD cases from HD stills as well as quite a few 4x6s with very little issue. The GL2 on the other hand might be an issue. Rings? It has to be Rings... Not the kiss, not the entrance, has to be rings.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Major Player

Father giving bride away?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques