Referal from one videographer to another at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Referal from one videographer to another

My best friend is getting married next year and I will be in the wedding. I have been begged to shoot the wedding while serving as maid of honor, but I refused. I don't believe you can do two jobs at the same time well. So I have been looking for a GOOD videographer for her wedding in her price range, and I have found one!

The Question is:
Do I introduce myself as a videographer who is unable to shoot for that day and offer to give the lead for 10%. (I have personally been approached to do this via e-mail from a stranger). - of coarse I would not profit from my friends celebration, I'm just curious.

Or is their some sort of unwritten rule I am unaware of?
Is there an expectation that I would eventually get a lead from them back?

What would you do?
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Angelini View Post
My best friend is getting married next year and I will be in the wedding. I have been begged to shoot the wedding while serving as maid of honor, but I refused. I don't believe you can do two jobs at the same time well. So I have been looking for a GOOD videographer for her wedding in her price range, and I have found one!

The Question is:
Do I introduce myself as a videographer who is unable to shoot for that day and offer to give the lead for 10%. (I have personally been approached to do this via e-mail from a stranger). - of coarse I would not profit from my friends celebration, I'm just curious.

Or is their some sort of unwritten rule I am unaware of?
Is there an expectation that I would eventually get a lead from them back?

What would you do?
Good question. One I will have to answer when my daughter decides to get married.

I would say go shopping ... just like brides do. When you have arrived at the point where you actually want to talk to a videographer, it would be appropriate to introduce yourself as a video professional. In this situation, some will be willing to shoot the tape for you to edit. I've done this for other video people ... won't do it for the average client ... just doesn't feel right.

As far as I know there aren't any unwritten rules, but there is professional behavior, i.e., recognizing others for their skills while adhering to your own standards.

Always be open to the opportunity to network. Referrals are based upon professional trust. No serious independent business person will give a referral to another business unless it is 1) they can't take, or are not interested in taking, or 2) is something completely beyond the scope of their business. Business owners make a point of knowing the capabilities of both competitors and non-competitors. A good referral has a way of returning positively. You give referrals as much as possible to as many businesses as possible whenever you get the opportunity. Be sure to let those businesses know you referred them.

Will you get a return referral, one for one? Maybe. Maybe not. You will get return referrals as some point. Just don't be surprised if they come from the most unlikely places.
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

It's really a matter of personal opinion I think. I give referrals without ever asking for any kind of a referral fee, but that's just how I like to do it. Just be careful to refer someone you really trust if it's a friend of yours. If you're not sure of the work, be very up front with your friend about it.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Trustee

I would be fine with shooting for another videographer and then handing over the footage via external HD (you never know if there is going to be some great footage there which would make great demo material)

In fact, that would be a good learning experience because you would have to shoot it thinking "someone else will see this before I fix it.... better get it right the first time!" It could be more stressful. But would be a good opportunity for a "peer review" sort of process.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks... for your responses.

Have any of you ever been contacted to give %10 for a lead?
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks... for your responses.

Have any of you ever been contacted to give %10 for a lead?
unfortunately 10% in my market (and at my prices) is just too much. I could pay a flat $50 for a booked client, but beyond that you start cutting into the money that puts food on my table.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm with you Jason.

I don't like referral fees because it cheapens the conviction behind the referral and it is such a small amount that book keeping becomes a hassle. The vendors with whom I work are a tight group, and we care about each other based on respect. I would be embarrased to even offer a referral fee.

I gave a lead to one of them and they sent me two movie tickets. Nice touch. I wasn't expecting it, which made it a classy gesture.
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I'm confused (again). Why even mention a 10% kickback if you wouldn't consider it?

Personally, I don't offer kickbacks or expect them. I think they're "tacky" between 2 professionals that do the same thing. If I'm double booked I refer them to somebody else and visa versa. You foster networing relationships this way and the returns by far exceed the silly finders fee.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques