Cheap customer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Cheap customer

I had a client meeting last night. They were the last minute type of people looking for videography for their wedding in 5 weeks. I showed them my work, answered their questions.

Now it comes to the money part. They kept asking for discount and negotiate everything. For example, my package covers 12 hours. They asked for 13 hours. I agreed. Then the wife crossed out on the contract 12 hours and wrote down 13.5 hrs. They asked for discount for the $150 highlights video. I offered them at $100. She wrote down $50. There're little things here and there. I then asked them to go home to think about it tonight and get back to me tmrw.

They returned to my office in 5 minutes wanting to leave the deposit check to book my service. I took their $800 deposit check and found out it is post dated in 5 days. Then they continued to ask for free stuff and discounts. 2 hours has passed and I eventually fed up with them. I gave them back the check and told them to re-consider before booking me. In my mind, I don't want their business. So when they call me today, I will just tell them to look for another vendor. Only 5 more weeks before their wedding.
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I encountered the same issue twice. Long story short, after all the discount, they didn’t like the video. They want to re-edit here, there, slow mo, the music and kept going back and forth. I wasted so many blank DVDs so the second time I didn’t buzz, as soon as they started telling me how the guy down the road do cheaper and wants some discount from me I stop talking and referred them to someone I picked up from a newspaper ads and told them that this guy is cheaper than the guy down the road.
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It has been my expierence that the people who argue about price the most end up being the ones who complain about the final product the most. When I produced commercials, the companies that paid full asking price with no haggle 98% of the time loved the product and thought it was a great deal. Those who negotiated and wanted free services thrown in always had to change something or never ended up saying the liked the product.

That couple most likely would have kept you at the wedding for 15 hours, demanded everything be shot this way and that way, and after watching the video would probably want a refund because you didn't get a shot of the monogramed napkins...
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree with you. For those who only see money as the most important factor not considering my time, effort, creativity put together, they are very likely will complain everything. The other thing is, I don't need their money that bad. I am choosing not to work with them.
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

As soon as they had started writing their terms and conditions on the paperwork I would have ended the meeting. I wirte down any changes AFTER we have agreed in principal to them.
Honestly this sounds like one that you're better not doing. I don't think you could ever please them no matter what you did. I would rather sit home and watch TV than go thru that. I've done it too many times over the years. I don't need the headache.
You did or are doing the right thing.

PASS!

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That's crazy. I haven't had much experience in this business, but after hearing this I'll be sure to remember what you guys are saying.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Taky,

I think it was a wise choice not to work with this couple. It sounds like they want your good deal....and not your good work, not to mention they just sound like a real P.I.T.A.

I've had similar experiences in the past but not as bad. Based on what you mentioned, I think they were being down right disrespectful and I would never tolerate that.

Good luck, Joe
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

My favorite part is how they marked "13.5" hours instead of the verbally-agreed-upon "13". What kind of person tries to sneak an extra 30 minutes of footage in? Too funny.
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Nice going Taky! 'Cheap' clients are the one to avoid. They are nothing but trouble and if you give them an inch, they'll take you a mile!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
My favorite part is how they marked "13.5" hours instead of the verbally-agreed-upon "13". What kind of person tries to sneak an extra 30 minutes of footage in? Too funny.
Speaking of.... ever get those sample videos back to that couple? They never told me who they booked so I don't know who to pass the info.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Inner Circle

just imagine ... you have escaped that trap, but there is one less lucky...
The futur husband....
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I had the same customer!!
Or maybe her twin....
I had a customer who saw an online ad that specified a last minute special. This person contacted me to book this special 10 months in advance! I emailed back the customer that I was sorry that this was a last minute special, For weddings occurring in the next 3 months, but I offered a hefty discount because of the confusion. The customer cursed at me via e-mail, told me I was misleading and they were to tell all their friends, yadda yadda. I mailed back an apology, that I will change the ad immediately, and thanked this person for bringing it to my attention. The customer then replied, begging me to book them. I again apologized to the customer, this time I was unavailable for that date.

There was NO WAY I was dealing with a person who would tell me off via e-mail.
Even if it means I loose money. Some other poor soul will have to put up with them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques