charging tax? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 19th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Thigpen View Post
Remember that in most states services are not taxable, only goods.
In California any video project with a physical end-product is taxable on the full amount charged to the client. The time which goes into producing the video is considered part of the product value, not a service.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #17
Major Player

I just paid SC $1750 in sales tax. It is one of the things about doing business, as much as it hurts taxes mean you have revenue. As long as there is planning involved, it's not too bad. We have started tacking on sales tax to all of our orders now that we are getting more revs. Good luck.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Trustee

Bill - that $1750 was for how long, surely not just this month right?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
In California any video project with a physical end-product is taxable on the full amount charged to the client. The time which goes into producing the video is considered part of the product value, not a service.

What Kevin has stated is the same thing that my two brothers in law who are both CPA's and three different people from the OH dept. of taxation have told me.

Also when I do a commercial for a business, they also have sales tax added on.

The thing I had never understood about this argument / discussion is the misconception of some that the tax is coming out of your pocket. It shouldn't be.

the amount should be added to the invoice ( 1000.00 + 55.00 sales tax = 1055.00).

In 22 years of this madness we call video, I've had ONE person make an issue of it and his invoice was very small.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques