Highlights Clip (from a nice little Barn in the UK!) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Highlights Clip (from a nice little Barn in the UK!)

Hi all,

I haven't posted a clip on here in ages... I fall guilty of just watching others' work and not sharing my own!

i hope this recent highlights clip of a beautiful couple and civil ceremony in a barn make up for it :)

http://www.vimeo.com/1369110

cheers
Richard
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello Richard,

Loved it, very well done.!! Lots of energy and a fun piece..Can you tell a little more about the shoot and post production ?? how many cameras, what kind?? How long on post, software etc..

Nicely done !!
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Major Player

ooh that was quick, cheers Mike

just using 2 x XH-A1, edited on PPro CS3 and After Effects (for that one shot of the motion-tracked logo on the bag)

my workflow for the last few months has been something like 1-2 weeks on a wedding, then from the final edit i just pick the best parts and stitch together for a highlights (about 1-2 hours work)...it's the rendering and uploading to Vimeo that's the killer!!

and as others do on here, i save some time with colour-grading by having some personal colour presets that i just adapt depending on the clip.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #4
Major Player

One to two weeks for the edit?? Does that include documentation of the entire ceremony and reception ?? Looked like you had some particle efects during the throwing of the rice/flowers petals ?? Correct?? Or was that just some glow??

As Borat would say " Very Nice" !!
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Major Player

well in all honesty that particular wedding only took just over a week because it was a civil ceremony and the actual ceremony was only 15 mins max!

but they're not all like that....i did a celebrity wedding over a month ago and that painstakingly took me 3-4 weeks :(

p.s. yep, star shine for the confetti...quite cool, but I possibly overdid it by carrying it over to 3 shots?
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Major Player

very good.

the star effect should've been cut from the second two...it worked so well on the first one!
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
p.s. yep, star shine for the confetti...quite cool, but I possibly overdid it by carrying it over to 3 shots?
Definitely. Worked awesome in the first shot with all of the flower petals or whatever. Didn't work for me at all in the next 2 shots. Great work, especially in the color department.
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great stuff Richard! Is this the highlights that was delivered to the couple?

I guess that's you manning the tripod, you look very smart mate ;)

Please spill the beans on who the celeb was???
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Great stuff Richard! Is this the highlights that was delivered to the couple?

I guess that's you manning the tripod, you look very smart mate ;)

Please spill the beans on who the celeb was???
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #10
Major Player

hiya tony,

long time no speak mate, hope all is well

haha, you spotted Wally...yep that's me in my old suit - it got pointed out it was one size too big for me so i bought another one last week!

i'll tell u which celeb but then i will have to shoot you: it was the gorgeous singer Jamelia and footballer Darren - would you believe i'm still patiently waiting for confirmation i can show the highlights clip on my blog...i can't wait to show people but i'd better do the right thing and get it approved first

cheers
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Looked nice Richard, especially the colors. I thought I saw the glidetrack in action though it was just for a very small part, did you use it a lot during the wedding?
I also saw you used quite a lot of effects, the extra blur in the image f.i. looked nice but sometimes was a bit distracting. Same applies for the vignetting, sometimes too noticeable (f.i. at 00:18)
the logo you inserted on the handbag in the beginning was very well executed and I also liked the way you added the titles in the beginning.
As I understand the XH-A1 can use different presets to manipulate colors and such, do you use an existing preset or is it one of your own?
Only thing I missed a bit was extra live sound, adding a part of the vows might have added some more emotion to it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #12
Major Player

cheers Noa,

yep, totally agree i've overdone it with the blur, it's one of a few things i'd like to go back and change but i've already given the clients the DVD and they didn't pick up on it :)

i've stopped using presets on the XH-A1 itself - as handy as they are to have, i always prefer to wait until post-production nowadays

re: the lack of spoken word...any other song and i would have included parts of the vows as you rightly suggest, but i came to the executive decision that it was too energetic and upbeat to interrupt it...

p.s. unfortunately we didn't really have the time to use the glidetrack as much as we'd like - infact it wasn't really a day for 'gliding' coz my glidecam broke that very morning (fixed now thank god!)
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
i've stopped using presets on the XH-A1 itself - as handy as they are to have, i always prefer to wait until post-production nowadays
I've been wondering about this. I have a few presets set up on my A1's but I can't bring myself to use them because I'd rather have a more neutral image to work with in post. But I also know a lot guys on here DO use them and do just fine. I thought maybe I was just being scared for no reason, but then you posted that comment.

Any examples you can give where presets made life more difficult in post?
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Travis,

great point....the VIVIDRGB preset is a fine example - looks perfect in the viewfinder then you get home and realise it's all too contrasty and 'too' vivid... i'd prefer to work from footage i have complete control over

however i have found some german low-light presets to be pretty helpful on a couple of occasions

maybe some presets help people out that don't want to spend excess time on on post-production? it's risky though, coz u can't turn the footage back that way

cheers

p.s. what's happened to Vimeo right now in time? all the clips i click on say 'this video no longer exists!'
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Major Player

Vimeo Says: this video no longer exists.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques