DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   First Wedding Video - a couple questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/127108-first-wedding-video-couple-questions.html)

Jeff Kolada July 31st, 2008 09:25 PM

First Wedding Video - a couple questions

I just booked my first real wedding video, I did one for a cousin last fall, and she referenced someone to me. I do alot of cinematography so i'm not worried about the look. I just need some help with planning and then editing. I figured i'm best asking the pros. So my questions.

1. How long do you edit to? I'd think it would be a 20-30 minute highlight video of the preparations, ceremony, and reception (something watchable multiple times) And then a crosscut section of the full ceremony.

2. How do you use your wireless mics? Bride and/or groom? The last one I did they spoke into microphones, so i hooked into the soundboard and that worked okay, but it was a bit soft.

3. Im sure i'm missing things, so is there anything else I should know? What are the 3 main things you try to do in editing?

Danny O'Neill August 1st, 2008 02:42 AM

1. Our highlights are only 1 song long, for promotional purposes you want something which is short, snappy and grabs there attention.

2. Wireless on the grooms left side, while its away from the minister its closer to the bride and she tends to be the one who whispers. Make sure its an omni directional and I point it down, so when the groom is sitting down, head in hands saying "Oh god Oh god Oh God" you dont get popping.

3. Good tripod, at least 2 cameras, lots of tapes.

Jason Robinson August 1st, 2008 11:05 AM

Roll, roll, roll that tape. If you are still green on weddings, it never hurts to get too much footage (other than taking a long time to record to HD and to slog through to find the good clips).

Go to the rehearsal. Meet the Photographer / DJ as soon as possible. Be relaxed and friendly with the groom because he can get you some awesome shots (assuming he is relaxed too) and he usually is standing around for much of the day waiting on the bridal prep, etc.

Have two shooters if at all possible. Grab a friend / spouse and tell them "don't touch the camera, but make sure no one stands in front of it, change tape when needed, and point it where I say." but realize that well meaning second camera Ops can cause problems in post. It just is nice to have that second wide angle isle camera rolling so you can move / reframe camera 1.

Ramesh Singh August 1st, 2008 11:58 AM

1. Sometimes Brides will tell how long they want the video to be. But ideal duration is considered to one hour (people will get bored after that)

2. Mic Groom for sure, and officiant if possible. For me what worked is plugging into DJ's system, and direct record to your H4/laptop.

3. As already pointed out make sure you have a second camera, Photogs & people, but mostly photogs will block your view.

PS: I am still a novice so my words don't carry much weight :->