New to forum, feedback wedding highlights wanted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 31st, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Major Player

New to forum, feedback wedding highlights wanted

First post in the wedding forum. I have only done a handful of weddings (as I do mostly commercials and independent film), I figured it's about time I get some feedback from someone other than my wife. You can see my most recent wedding video here at my website here http://www.higherdefinitionmedia.com...irectlink&id=2

A little background on this video, it was shot with 2 Canon XH-A1s (One equipped with a Brevis 35mm adapter and One on a Steadicam Pilot) and 2 locked off Canon HV20s. I didn't include the typical vows excerpts because none where exchanged. The entire ceremony was about 5 minutes and was basically a glorified ring ceremony with a guitar and bongos.

I'm coming from a independent film background, so keep that in mind if you feel it's a little on the artsy side. I know I need work on my Steadicam skills, but have since attended a Tiffin workshop to improve on that. Don't be afraid of being harsh, I'll take all criticism as constructive. Let me have it as I'm sure there is a lot I can improve on.

Andrew Waite
Higher Definition Media
www.higherdefinitionmedia.com
Bakersfield, CA USA
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Major Player

great visuals, I liked how lots of it was handheld. made it seem more personal. I think what would've made it really great would be ambient noise. misc chatter during the prep, lots of laughter throughout, clapping, etc. I really started to notice how silent it was and I think some extra sound clips would really drive it all home.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Trustee

Hey Andrew,

I really enjoyed the style. The B&G were pretty laid back. So your filming/cutting style really fit theirs. The great thing about multi-cam shoots is that you can be lock one off to play it safe and have fun with another. If you want to see some edgier stuff check out Oleg Kalyan's work. I think it's www.olegkalyan.ru he shoots with an H1 in Russia and has does some similar stuff, just a little bolder in some cases.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Major Player

wow, I check out that site... cool stuff! You're right, it's pretty edgy. I like it.

It's funny you should mention sound. I have been thinking about that myself... especially when the bridesmaids are clapping and cheering for the bride... I thought to myself as I was shooting it... "hmmm.. this will be good, I should include the audio of the girls cheering in the final edit", then when it came to the final edit, it's not there. I might have to go back and re-cut this one. Thanks for the input.

I had a mic on the groom and the officiant, but there just wasn't anything spoken that I felt "fit" the mood and style I was going for. No vows were exchanged, lots of mistakes from the officiant (such as mispronouncing the bride and grooms names, or getting them confused... or stumbling on words), so that didn't help. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Andrew,

I loved it - promise me you'll keep in touch with your indie film-maker style because that's what makes this unique.

Perfect choice of music and the pacing of your edit was excellent.

I actually thought the steadicam shots detracted from the feel of it ... they kind of pulled me out of the moment and made me realise "oh, this is a wedding video, not just a story of someone's day". The handheld brevis footage really fit the vibe and drew me in, whereas the steadicam shots pulled me out of the moment, if that makes sense. A couple of the steadicam shots, when you were following people felt really natural ... but the flybys didn't fit in my opinion.

I know Steadicams for weddings are all the rage (heck, I've got one and love it) but sometimes I feel that fancy steadicam moves are a poor substitute for story telling. This is an area that I really want to improve on in my own work. That's why I love Jason Magbanua's work so much .... his videos often only have 2 or 3 steadicam moves and the rest is telling the story.

In your video, you tell the story so well that I don't think the steadicam shots are needed, I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

Man, the shot of the kiss is possibly one of my favourite wedding video shots ever ... so beautifully framed. And you must have arms of steel to be handholding the A1+Brevis! I tried a few times but now I use the HV30+Brevis combo.

What lenses did you use at this wedding with the Brevis?

Great work mate! And thanks for sharing this video ... you've got me all inspired :)

Cheers,

Matthew.

Last edited by Matthew Ebenezer; August 1st, 2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Trustee

I thought it was great. Just maybe a bit long.

The steadicam shots worked very well for me. Love it.

Thanks for posting!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Vito!

Matthew, I think you're right. I think I could defiantly dial back a little on the Steadicam. It's always when you get a new toy you tend to use it any chance you get. Thank you for your input, I'm getting a lot of great stuff here in this forum... wish I did this a long time ago!
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques