DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Preview - Egerton Grey - Wales (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/127292-wedding-preview-egerton-grey-wales.html)

John De Rienzo August 3rd, 2008 01:17 PM

Wedding Preview - Egerton Grey - Wales

Hi,

We recently filmed this at Egerton Grey, and would appreciate feedback on this clip.

http://www.derienzo-videoproductions.co.uk/ruth-ian.wmv

Kind Regards,

John De Rienzo

John De Rienzo August 5th, 2008 10:30 AM

Any feedback, comments would be appreciated,

Cheers,
John De Rienzo

Richard Wakefield August 5th, 2008 11:03 AM

brilliant key magical moment at the beginning (perfect VO at any point in the clip!), and lovely song to accompany the piece... also, superb venue/location...u lucky so and so!

but John mate, you GOTTA get a glidecam/merlin/glidetrack/etc coz the moving footage is distractingly wobbly from the potentially great content...sorry to be brutally honest, i promise if you get one, you'll not regret it!...also, aren't you editing in HD now? check out Vimeo for great online playback

John De Rienzo August 5th, 2008 12:08 PM

Hi Richard, Thx for your comment, all appreciated. I have to say the only thing I cannot possibly agree with you on is distractingly shaky footage!!!, Maybe I need my eyes tested,or you do.....lol!!

Cheers.

Richard Wakefield August 5th, 2008 12:10 PM

<must stop drinking beer during the day> :)

Danny O'Neill August 5th, 2008 02:20 PM

John, you have some amazing shots there and I can see what you were trying to capture but I have to agree with Richard, your need a glidecam. Its obvious what you were trying to achieve but without the proper tools it just missed the mark.

I think if you did get one you would enter a whole new league and put us to shame more than you already have.

Some real wow moments there though.

John De Rienzo August 5th, 2008 04:10 PM

Hi Danny,

Thank you for your kind comments! I hate the glidecam,lol...!! I used one and it did not agree with me..I may try again.

I must confess I used a Sony HC1 for this shoot...Don't ask why!!!...thats another story, but if you know anything about this cam, one thing it is is lightweight! compared to my usual fully loaded FX1's....

I still don't see the issue with the (SLIGHT! shakiness) but respect others views....I find the flycam..glidecam..whatever you want to call it quite restricting with other shots I like, like panning and tracking with pull focus together, etc.

Maybe someone here can convert me....maybe not!

Cheers.

Jason Robinson August 5th, 2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John De Rienzo (Post 916931)
I still don't see the issue with the (SLIGHT! shakiness) but respect others views....I find the flycam..glidecam..whatever you want to call it quite restricting with other shots I like, like panning and tracking with pull focus together, etc.

I pretty sure fancy focus changes & zooms while using the Glidecam are pretty much impossible unless you have a follow focus remote and someone else to operate it (I think that is what it is called). So if you want to be changing those settings while flying then hand held, or multi person crew is pretty much your only option.

As far as the shake others have mentioned, I see it as well. Is it distracting? Not to an unskilled eye. To people in our industry, it is easier to notice.

Danny O'Neill August 6th, 2008 04:46 AM

Glidecam is a piece of kit which needs practice and I am a long way off becoming a master. Tried it handheld though with the FX1 and boy was it heavy. Deffinatly can only use it with the vest and arm now. Its also an art in itself to move around somewhere filled with 150 people and not take out someones eye. Keeping an eye on your monitor, the location of your feet, glidecam arm and also ensuring you know what else is going on around you that you may need to capture. The damn arm is at just the right height for a kids head and on a number of occasions too much sugar and young'uns has had a few near misses.

Your right about focus, I tend to leave it set for running around in circles but if I know Im doing a shot moving from a distance in close I sometimes use auto, just have to ensure the subject is in the middle. If im trying to do fancy focus changes its either onto the tripod or on the glidcam with one hand but then im trying to achieve a styalized shakey cam look.

But each to their own. Its why brides go for one video over another. It would be a pretty boring world if we were all the same.

John De Rienzo August 6th, 2008 05:09 AM

Hi Danny.

Yes, I can visualise you now looking like an alien in your armour gear!!ha...

I do own a glidecam and arm.....do I like it, NO.

As for the creative shots while moving...that is also an art to master, moving the camera handheld while focus pulling with movement is very difficult and one I have been practising for years. I tend to get it right now 8 times out of ten.

Do I sacrifice this creative side for the glidecam, or accept a few shakes now and then....like I said, this was shot with an HC1 handycam!...handheld, with no weight and in my trained eye, negligable in terms of shakiness.

However, I must respect the fact that others see it, although distracting to my eye, it is not!

Cheers.