DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Jvc HD110 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/127372-jvc-hd110.html)

William Smyth August 4th, 2008 04:02 PM

Jvc HD110

I'm thinking about upgrading my gear and am considering going with the JVC HD110. I wondered if anyone is using for wedding and finding any major advantages or disadvantages to the camera. Thanks.

Chris Davis August 5th, 2008 10:16 AM

I have a JVC-HD100U, but have not used it for weddings. It's a wonderful camera, but not exactly a "run and gun" type. For example, there's no auto-focus.

However, I have used it for some extemporaneous shooting situations, and that organic manual focusing look does have its own charm.

Don Bloom August 5th, 2008 02:43 PM

I have used an HD100for a wedding and while it gives a great image I was not overjoyed with the veiwfinder especially at the reception. I found it very hard to focus in the low light. Of course coming from fullsize Sonys and a JVC5000 with the 116 viewfinder it was a bit of a challenge for me to go back to the smaller viewfinder.
Here's whatelse I found about the 100. For ceremonies it worked GREAT! Of course the ceremony I did with it was during the day in a tent (a very nice indian ceremony) so that was a no brainer. The reception again was problematic however my set was this; I used a diffused 50W on camera lightmore than what I was used to but the venue was very very dark. I was shooting 30p (better look to my eye than 24p)at 1/30th sec.. I also was at about f2 or there abouts and I had a button set to stretch the blacks a bit. I don't remember the exact setting but the footage did look very very nice. As for the focus situation once I realized that I wouldn't be able to really see I used zone focus like I used to for still photography many eons ago and for shooting sports.
Anyway I know a few folks that use it for weddings as their primary camera and love it.

Don

William Smyth August 8th, 2008 01:58 PM

Thanks for the responses. Let me give you some background to my decision to consider the HD110/100. Right now, I own an XL1S, which I like, but it's 5 years old and I want to upgrade to an HD camera.

The other things that are steering me to the HD110/100 is the ENG style shoulder mount (I work for TV station where I normally use a Sony PDW 355L) so I'm used the shoulder mount. Also, the inter-changeable lens is a big plus.

My concerns... How is it in low light? The XL1S isn't great in low, light, but it's workable. Lastly, I'm hearing some HD110/100 has issues with dropped pixels. Obviously, this is raising a big red flag for me.

Other than weddings, I'm planning to use it for short films and documentaries. Thanks again for the input.

Ben Lynn August 8th, 2008 09:57 PM

Hey William,

I've been in your shoes, XL1s/tv background. Make the move to the jvc. The controls are immediately famliar. It's a true shoulder cam, not like the xl1 series. Even the stock lens feels like a major upgrade from the electronic lenses on other cameras. Buy jvcprohd tape stock to eliminate drop outs. If there's a dead pixel, the camera has a pixel mask function to take care of it.

It's better than the xl1s in low light. Shoot in 30p and the shutter looks fine at 1/30th in low light situations. The xl1 shoots 60i so a shutter drop was really noticable, not so on the jvc.

I've shot a lot of situations with it and I'm glad I went the route of the jvc. It's much more versatile camera than the canon. It also has better image latitude. I wasn't sure how I would like the 30p but I love it. For weddings it seems to be just right. 30p isn't as jerky as 24p, its easier on editors, and it gives a more pleasing feel than 1080i at a wedding.

If your looking at the 100/110 models I assume your on a budget. If you have the money though look at the 200B/250B models because they can also output 1080i to a drive. Or take a look at the new sony shoulder camera with the removable 1/3" lens (I can't remember the model number). It also looks like a legitimate shoulder camera that would work great for users with a broadcast background. I'm sure it has a better viewfinder than the jvc which is really just adequate at best. But for the money I don't think you'll beat a used 100/110 from dvinfo.

Ben

Don Bloom August 8th, 2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lynn (Post 918411)
Hey William,
Or take a look at the new sony shoulder camera with the removable 1/3" lens (I can't remember the model number). It also looks like a legitimate shoulder camera that would work great for users with a broadcast background. I'm sure it has a better viewfinder than the jvc which is really just adequate at best. But for the money I don't think you'll beat a used 100/110 from dvinfo.

Ben

Yep what Ben said. AAMOF it was his 100 that I used and I agree with all he said. The Sony is the S270-ENG style, shoots tape and to card-HDV lots of good stuff to it. Not sure if the VF is a true VF or like the JVC a smaller LCD with an eye piece but I think either would do you well although a preowned 100/110 would be a big money saver.

Don