Jvc HD110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Jvc HD110

I'm thinking about upgrading my gear and am considering going with the JVC HD110. I wondered if anyone is using for wedding and finding any major advantages or disadvantages to the camera. Thanks.
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Trustee

I have a JVC-HD100U, but have not used it for weddings. It's a wonderful camera, but not exactly a "run and gun" type. For example, there's no auto-focus.

However, I have used it for some extemporaneous shooting situations, and that organic manual focusing look does have its own charm.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have used an HD100for a wedding and while it gives a great image I was not overjoyed with the veiwfinder especially at the reception. I found it very hard to focus in the low light. Of course coming from fullsize Sonys and a JVC5000 with the 116 viewfinder it was a bit of a challenge for me to go back to the smaller viewfinder.
Here's whatelse I found about the 100. For ceremonies it worked GREAT! Of course the ceremony I did with it was during the day in a tent (a very nice indian ceremony) so that was a no brainer. The reception again was problematic however my set was this; I used a diffused 50W on camera lightmore than what I was used to but the venue was very very dark. I was shooting 30p (better look to my eye than 24p)at 1/30th sec.. I also was at about f2 or there abouts and I had a button set to stretch the blacks a bit. I don't remember the exact setting but the footage did look very very nice. As for the focus situation once I realized that I wouldn't be able to really see I used zone focus like I used to for still photography many eons ago and for shooting sports.
Anyway I know a few folks that use it for weddings as their primary camera and love it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses. Let me give you some background to my decision to consider the HD110/100. Right now, I own an XL1S, which I like, but it's 5 years old and I want to upgrade to an HD camera.

The other things that are steering me to the HD110/100 is the ENG style shoulder mount (I work for TV station where I normally use a Sony PDW 355L) so I'm used the shoulder mount. Also, the inter-changeable lens is a big plus.

My concerns... How is it in low light? The XL1S isn't great in low, light, but it's workable. Lastly, I'm hearing some HD110/100 has issues with dropped pixels. Obviously, this is raising a big red flag for me.

Other than weddings, I'm planning to use it for short films and documentaries. Thanks again for the input.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey William,

I've been in your shoes, XL1s/tv background. Make the move to the jvc. The controls are immediately famliar. It's a true shoulder cam, not like the xl1 series. Even the stock lens feels like a major upgrade from the electronic lenses on other cameras. Buy jvcprohd tape stock to eliminate drop outs. If there's a dead pixel, the camera has a pixel mask function to take care of it.

It's better than the xl1s in low light. Shoot in 30p and the shutter looks fine at 1/30th in low light situations. The xl1 shoots 60i so a shutter drop was really noticable, not so on the jvc.

I've shot a lot of situations with it and I'm glad I went the route of the jvc. It's much more versatile camera than the canon. It also has better image latitude. I wasn't sure how I would like the 30p but I love it. For weddings it seems to be just right. 30p isn't as jerky as 24p, its easier on editors, and it gives a more pleasing feel than 1080i at a wedding.

If your looking at the 100/110 models I assume your on a budget. If you have the money though look at the 200B/250B models because they can also output 1080i to a drive. Or take a look at the new sony shoulder camera with the removable 1/3" lens (I can't remember the model number). It also looks like a legitimate shoulder camera that would work great for users with a broadcast background. I'm sure it has a better viewfinder than the jvc which is really just adequate at best. But for the money I don't think you'll beat a used 100/110 from dvinfo.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn View Post
Hey William,
Or take a look at the new sony shoulder camera with the removable 1/3" lens (I can't remember the model number). It also looks like a legitimate shoulder camera that would work great for users with a broadcast background. I'm sure it has a better viewfinder than the jvc which is really just adequate at best. But for the money I don't think you'll beat a used 100/110 from dvinfo.

Ben

Yep what Ben said. AAMOF it was his 100 that I used and I agree with all he said. The Sony is the S270-ENG style, shoots tape and to card-HDV lots of good stuff to it. Not sure if the VF is a true VF or like the JVC a smaller LCD with an eye piece but I think either would do you well although a preowned 100/110 would be a big money saver.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques