DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Couple Story/Date Video Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/127441-couple-story-date-video-questions.html)

Kale Fitch August 5th, 2008 10:16 AM

Couple Story/Date Video Questions

Hey everyone long time listener first time caller. Anyways I have a couple story/date video to film tonight and I am going through the last minute prep and ideas. What questions do you guys usually ask the couple? How they met? First kiss? How did he propose? What questions or ideas am I leaving out? By the way I am taking them on a horse carriage ride, walking around downtown and to a park to film the questions. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Travis Cossel August 5th, 2008 01:18 PM

My first thought is you better have your audio figured out. I don't know if you plan on mic'ing them or not, but you probably should. If they are outside, with traffic and people around, it could be hard to hear what they are saying if you're just using a shotgun mic or on-camera mic. The questions you decide to ask won't matter if you can't clearly hear the answers.

Kale Fitch August 5th, 2008 02:47 PM

Yes I have the sennheiser g2 system that i will be mic'ing both of them with. A little background on me: I have been in the wedding videography business for over 6 years, I have just recently been getting requests for couple story/dates as that has not been a big seller in my market area. I have always offered them but never really had a lot of interest in them. I am wondering what key questions I should ask to get the best responses and loosen them up a little bit.

Don Bloom August 5th, 2008 04:26 PM

first start the camera and let it roll. you never know when THE CUTEthing is going to be said.

As for questions, are you interviewing them together, seperatly or both? Thatcandetermine some of the questions.

You might interview them seperatley first and ask them both the same questions. It's neat the way they see things differently.

For example, how did you meet?, what did you do on the first date? Who took the lead for the first kiss? how long did you wait to call her for a 2nd date? Why so long? (if it was more than a day or 2) when did you know he/she was THE one? How did you ask her to marry you? Were you nervous when you asked? (did you ask her dad for permission? if so, how nervouse were you? are you helping her in the wedding planning? What are you doing? Who did you tell first BEFORE you asked her? Who did you tell first AFTER he asked you? What's the first thing that other people notice about her/him? What the thing about her/him you love the most or find the cutest? Who's going to be the "boss of the house"?(that's a really fun question--you get some very diverse answers) Here's a quetion that you can ask after you've established a repoir with them. Also ask with a big smile on your face. What's the one thing about him/her that annoys you the most?

That's just a few that come to mind. Again, you can ask them seperatly or together.
Here's a thought also. Interview the parents of both and ask them about the B&G. Like, what do you like most about him/her? How did you feel when they told you they were getting married?

I like to just let them go on and talk-I can always edit out what I don't want. I like to use a lot of voice over but that's me.
Mostly just have FUN with them.
BTW, you might want to kill the on camera mic the lav with get you all the ambient you need.

HTHs

Don

Kale Fitch August 5th, 2008 04:38 PM

Awesome, thanks for all the tips Don. I am just about to head off to the shoot and I have some good solid questions to ask. I will probably interview them separately to see the different reactions/answers I get and edit it in a fun way. They actually seem like a really fun couple so it should go smoothly, plus it looks like we might have a little rain so I can get some fun shots with an umbrella and them playing in the rain. I will post the video as soon as I get it finished.

Kale Fitch August 6th, 2008 08:46 AM

Alright the shoot went great, this couple was crazy! I couldnt get them to stand still, they had way too much energy which was great for the video. I met them at a trax station (commuter train in slc) and from there went downtown slc to meet the carriage ride. We took about a half hour ride through downtown and to a park where I could get some great nature shots and interviews. I interviewed them both together as that is what they had wanted and got some pretty funny responses to the questions I asked. I should have this edited soon as their wedding is Aug. 21st and have something posted up here for comments.

Don Bloom August 6th, 2008 10:52 AM

sounds like a fun couple. those are the best. when you have to drag stuff out of them it hurts. Looking forward to seeing th eclip.

Don

Travis Cossel August 6th, 2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 917237)
sounds like a fun couple. those are the best. when you have to drag stuff out of them it hurts. Looking forward to seeing th eclip.

Don

Yeah, I shot one of these yesterday and the bride kept asking what the groom had said (she wanted to make sure he didn't say anything "bad" or "stupid", lol). Apparently they had a fight that morning too, because of the groom was running late. Talk about a challenging interview! Whew!

Looking forward to seeing your edit, Kale.