EX1/EX3 for weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 13th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
As far as saving on capture time is concerned, keep in mind that with any tapeless camera you trade that for the time required to make a reliable archive of your master footage. Most who have gone tapeless seem to prefer the workflow, but it's not necessarily simpler or faster than working from tape.
I do agree with this and when you consider the down convert time for capture it might even end up taking longer than with tape and still no archived master.

If delivering finished product on Blu-ray it makes sense but as I am still giving out a SD DVD is does not seem to justify a change as of yet.

Thanks again to all for helping me decide.
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #17
Trustee

For the last three years I did about 150 weddings, starting with DSR390 (still have it) PD170, FX1, Z1, A1 and now EX1, it's the best camera I've ever used - period.
Next season we're buying second one, most likely EX3, unless 'they' will release EX(x) with 2/3' sensor.
Not sure about everybody else, but the weddings I do , except for the park, (sometimes even park also) are indoor events, 1/3' is not enough unless you have sufficient light all the time; buying half inch or 2/3' SD camera now is a waist of money, this wedding season is almost over and by the next one you'll loose 50% of your investment, I would wait till next season and look around, things change, and they change fast.
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Z1+EX Match Methods ?

Any experience in setting Z1 to be as similar as possible to EX1/3 or in matching them in post (color grading etc.)? Color phase? Saturation? Secondary Color Correction? Obviously will depend on context but any broad consistent lessons?
David Esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Esp View Post
Any experience in setting Z1 to be as similar as possible to EX1/3 or in matching them in post (color grading etc.)? Color phase? Saturation? Secondary Color Correction? Obviously will depend on context but any broad consistent lessons?
In my brief testing of an EX1 I'd say the footage is comparable in "look" to other Sony HD cameras, except for the subtler depth of field on the EX1. So I wouldn't worry much about combining an EX1 with a Z1U, and I suspect many are doing that now.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Major Player

This is my SECOND attempt at posting on this subject. Seconds before hitting 'post,' my son decided to turn off the computer.

In a nutshell...

I found the EX1 to be too heavy for my tastes to shoot a wedding. I'm sure if I were more comfortable with the camera (using for more than 6 months) I might change my mind. If you're using a tripod more often than not, it may be okay.

The EX3? Not a chance. Too large (for my tastes) and too heavy.

I prefer using my Z1... a camera which I equally hated after getting it. So take it for what it's worth!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques