WEVA Benefits? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Major Player

WEVA Benefits?

I am just curious how many people here have joined weva, how many people think it was a worthy investment and how many think it was a waste of time.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I can only speak for myself. I looked it over when I first started out, and couldn't really see the benefit-to-cost being worthwhile for me. I never joined, and don't feel it has really hurt me. The biggest thing is that my brides could care less, and the money I spend on WEVA could go towards advertising or equipment instead.
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Major Player

I've been a member for years, and unless you're a seminar attendee, its of questionable value. As they say; your mileage may vary. I'm reconsidering my next year with them. At first, the forum was a good enough reason to join. But many other (better) forums have sprouted up recently...this one included.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have to agree with Oren, unless you plan on going to the yearly conference (which is in August - prime wedding season for us northerners) I'm not sure if its worth the cost anymore. I was a member for two years, and just dropped them in the spring (though they still send me the magazine).

I was able to join a local wedding videographer's association which I have found to be incredible. For me, its much better to build a network with local colleagues and being able to see what my local competition is doing. If your in an area with other videographers, you might just think about starting a local group of your own. We have about 15-20 members in our group and meet once every other month.

Ryan
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Major Player

NOT worth it. most of the stuff you can learn by going through all the resources available online. I have found most of the seminars remedial and geared towards beginners. I will never attend another WEVA. Brides I book don't know WTF WEVA is, and dont care.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Major Player

All Valid points. I joined last year and I really can't see a benefit and trying to decide weather to keep it. The magazine they send does not include that much information and the occasional tutorial they have on "the next best thing" usually is cheesy and something that I already know how to do but wouldn't think twice about actually trying it, its simply not quality.

But what really made me re-think about continuing my membership is the forum. Its not a nice forum, its disorganized, there is no "new post" option, or any easy way to see the newest posts. Generally the organization is pretty horrible. But not only the organization, but the people, 90% of them are people who think paying the $180 automatically makes them better then everybody else, they are constantly arguing, bickering, and generally bein rude to each other. It doesn't seam like a organization of professionals like it should.

I don't know, I felt like I needed to rant, but didn't want my initial views to guide the thread, I wanted to hear the opinions of other people first.

I would also love to hear any opinions on the topic from anybody from stillmotion since I have a lot of respect for you guys.
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Well, that'd do it for me... no need for more arguing, bickering and bein rude in my universe... already have three small children to deal with!

A little spirited discussion once and a while like here on DVinfo is cool, but respect for each others opinions, genuine interest in raising the bar for everyone, and being helpful first and foremost make this a fine place to hang out, and the price is right too!

THANKS CHRIS!!! For creating and maintaining a good healthy place for pros and those who are trying to be!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Call me a newby but....

I am new to the industry and find an infinite value of being a WEVA member.

No people aren't going to knock on your door offering help, showering you with money, but for me I have leveraged my membership to networking with the BEST in the world.
Because of my effort I have successful videographers offering to help, and mentor myself and my business.

I did not find any of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
Generally the organization is pretty horrible. But not only the organization, but the people, 90% of them are people who think paying the $180 automatically makes them better then everybody else, they are constantly arguing, bickering, and generally bein rude to each other. It doesn't seam like a organization of professionals like it should.
I'm sorry Louis, that you had this experience with WEVA, but I have found just the opposite.

Before considering a membership to any organization:
It is only as helpful as you want it to be. You must be proactive. And actively seek out for your needs to be met.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Major Player

I didnt' mean the organization as a whole I meant the organization of the forum and the site as a whole. The people who run WEVA and WEVA itself is very organized.

But the childish attitude of the people on the forums is definitely there. The other day somebody put a video up on the forums for the members to watch. I watched the video and offered a critique, generally very nice but let him know some of the things he may want to look into changing. I was immediately responded to by another member of WEVA informing me that we were not allowed to critique this particular members videos because he is not willing to learn, something to do with a previous thread where I guess he didn't agree with the critique. But it was almost to say "we're not allowed to play with that kid because last time he stole my ball" kind of attitude.

I am glad to find somebody who finds it valuable. But I felt compelled know if having that weva logo on my website really is worth the $180, or if the brides really don't care. The other members are nice and respectful to me, but they tend not to be nice and respectful to everybody and that is one of the reasons why I do not want to rejoin again next year. I will ride this year out and see what happens.
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Louis, I would agree with what you've said about the forums. the main reason I had dropped WEVA ( and I was a member for 5 yrs., was when their Insurance carrier changed to St.Paul's, they dropped my coverage because I do more local commercials and industrial type videos than weddings and I was told that wasn't what the coverage was designed for.
But yet I was told at the time about a person who was doing some stringer work...in the Middle East... and was still covered under their policy. Also I found a better merchant services processor through WeDJ.
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #11
Major Player

what is WeDJ?
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Just discoverd this myself!

DJs - Disc Jockeys - Photographers - Videographers - WeDJ.com
was created as a internet lead source for DJs and has expanded to photo/video. In addition they offer web hosting, merchant credit, insurance and my favorite: the lead managment web program. (like ACT)

I met the creator at the WEVA convention on tuesday and will be purchasing either the silver or gold program, mostly beacuse of the lead program.

They also boast that they alwasy rank very high on google and yahoo, therefore your weblisting will rank high.
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Louis,

I know what you mean about the attitudes of some of the posters on the WEVA forums. It's amazing how some people will act when they can hide behind a keyboard. For me, the biggest benefit of being a WEVA member is going to the WEVA Expo. If you have not gone to the Expo, then you are missing out on the biggest benefit, in my opinion.

The internet is great, but there is just something about talking to people face to face. We just returned from the WEVA Expo and I came away with some great ideas. If I ever get to the point that I can't learn from others, then I'm in really big trouble.
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Major Player

I've never been able to go to to the EXPO but I hope to get there at some point. I just wish you could learn a little bit more from being a member with out having to go the the expo.
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
For me, the biggest benefit of being a WEVA member is going to the WEVA Expo. If you have not gone to the Expo, then you are missing out on the biggest benefit, in my opinion.
You wouldn't happen to be biased in WEVA's favor at all since you and your wife have programs on the WEVA Expo schedule now would you? ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques