Something to Share - Shadowplay Featured on Jessica Claire's website! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Something to Share - Shadowplay Featured on Jessica Claire's website!

Hi,

I wasn't sure whether to share this or not but it's pretty exciting for us so I thought why not share my excitement with the gang here at DVInfo! Plus, it's loosely wedding related and this is the part of the forum where I hang out the most.

Ok … for those who don’t know, Jessica Claire is like one of the awesomest wedding photographers around - and she also makes the Shootsac, a fashionable lens bag for photographers.

Katie (my wife) and I loved the Shootsac so much that we made a little promo video for it … just for the fun of it. We sent it to Jessica and yesterday she featured it on her website! Thanks Jessica!

Here’s the link to it on Jessica’s site - http://jessicaclaire.net/ and here’s the video on Vimeo if you want to watch it there in HD: http://www.vimeo.com/1483393

Cheers!

Matthew.

Note: I'm not affiliated with Shootsac in any way - we just love the product and thought it'd be fun to spend an afternoon making our own little Shootsac promo mixed in with footage from our photoshoots.
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Awesome!!! I knew she couldn't resist :)
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice mate!
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Major Player

That was really good. Pretty awesome that she put it on her site too!

So now that we know what your wife looks like. It is now important for you to appear in a video.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Matt that was great!
I have a shootsac and love it too!
Look forward to meeting you at ReFrame.
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I already emailed you, but might as well say it publicly too. Great video! My wife (photographer) loves the Shoot Sac as well.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #7
Major Player

How cool.... That is awesome for just a fun little project...

I gotta ask... at the beginning just after she says "I love my shoot sac"... You do a little glidecam (?) manuever around the sac and up to her face... is that just a glidecam shot with differing speeds? The clarity on that shot is amazing.... What are you shooting with? Then you go back to the sac for a second and move left then right... it looks like one of those QT VRs that some photogs do... really wild looking... Please explain if you don't mind..

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
How cool.... That is awesome for just a fun little project...

I gotta ask... at the beginning just after she says "I love my shoot sac"... You do a little glidecam (?) manuever around the sac and up to her face... is that just a glidecam shot with differing speeds? The clarity on that shot is amazing.... What are you shooting with? Then you go back to the sac for a second and move left then right... it looks like one of those QT VRs that some photogs do... really wild looking... Please explain if you don't mind..

Cheers,
Scott
Thanks Scott.

I've just been practicing my Steadicam moves ... that whole shot is in real time ;)

Seriously though, it is one continuous 360+ degree move around Katie. I used Time Remapping in After Effects to do the slow then fast then slow then fast etc ... To be honest, the slight left to right movement was a glitch when rendering the file, I liked it so I left it in.

This shot was done with my XH-A1 on the Merlin (handheld). The light was beautiful at the time of day we shot it so that certainly helped.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
This shot was done with my XH-A1 on the Merlin (handheld). The light was beautiful at the time of day we shot it so that certainly helped.
Wow, that's impressive... The glitch thing that caused the slight reverse is a cool little accident... So did you shoot progressive or interlaced?

I tell you, the more stuff I see from the Canons makes me want to dump my FX1s...

It'll be nice to meet you at ReFrame.. :)

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Did love that slow mo, Ive done a similar thing in vegas but it does frame blending rather than sampling full frame so the slow mo doesnt look as fluid and stutters. Yours looks like it was filmed with a high speed camera.
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Major Player

She is indeed very creative photographer, I looked up her site, nice work!

You did a great job on that video, keep them coming!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
Wow, that's impressive... The glitch thing that caused the slight reverse is a cool little accident... So did you shoot progressive or interlaced?

I tell you, the more stuff I see from the Canons makes me want to dump my FX1s...

It'll be nice to meet you at ReFrame.. :)

Cheers,
Scott
Hey Scott,

I always shoot interlaced (50i - PAL) and then de-interlace in post - i.e. when I export the finished video.

I've never used an FX1 so can't comment. So much of what we do as videographers or photographers is dictated by light. Without understanding light it doesn't matter how fancy or expensive your camera is .... Even with my old XL2, once I started to understand light, the quality of my footage improved dramatically.

Especially on that shot of the bag, I was able to push the image heaps in post because the light was perfect, and I used settings on my camera to take the most advantage of it.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Looks Great!!

Hi, loved the film! Looks great as does all your stuff! Something I've been wondering - how do you get the glow in your highlights? It's such a smooth look, is it a post filter or something you do on camera?

The time-remapping looks great as well. Looked like a fun little shoot! Good work!

Matt
Mathew Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
Hey Scott,

I always shoot interlaced (50i - PAL) and then de-interlace in post - i.e. when I export the finished video.

I've never used an FX1 so can't comment. So much of what we do as videographers or photographers is dictated by light. Without understanding light it doesn't matter how fancy or expensive your camera is .... Even with my old XL2, once I started to understand light, the quality of my footage improved dramatically.

Especially on that shot of the bag, I was able to push the image heaps in post because the light was perfect, and I used settings on my camera to take the most advantage of it.

Cheers,

Matthew.
That was great, really liked how dynamic were each shots along with the testimonials, or better yet the accent. ;)

You mention about understanding the light, at one point, could you refer me to a good tutorial or maybe even explaining how to achieve the optimal light according to your experience?

Loved that Matrix like shot too.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Matt,

Good stuff.

Have you found that the ShootSac is usable for videographers?

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques