DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Fashion Runaway/Catwalk tutorial (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/127991-fashion-runaway-catwalk-tutorial.html)

Erick Munari August 13th, 2008 09:20 PM

Fashion Runaway/Catwalk tutorial

Would you be so kind as to share your knowledge on how to film the catwalk/fashion runaway? (shooting modes, lights, mics, etc...). I am doing one this weekend, with my tripod, XHA1 and not much else. Wish me luck.

Troy Davis August 14th, 2008 01:30 PM

Hi Erick,

I'm certainly not the xpert when it comes to shooting fashion shows, but I have shot a few and this is what works for me:

1. two cams
2. one cam at back straight on to stage runway (this cam can be manned or unmanned)
3. If manned/wommaned just make sure that it's wide enough to get all subjects
4. cam2 is manned by me right near the stage getting close ups, dutch angles, etc

Make sure that both cams continuosly run together. This makes editing in post so much
easier. Of course, if you have more cams and help this can be varied. Usually, the lighting
is provided by the fashion show folks. If you're using their music you can pipe into the board
or use external/shotgun mics.

I'm sure some of the gurus in this forum may have bertter tips, but this is what works
for me.

Troy

Noel Lising August 14th, 2008 02:25 PM

I am no expert as well. I have shot Fashion shows too but I was Camerman 1 of 3. Ideally you should have 3 Cameras for a Cat Walk but anyway here's my 2 cents. You don't need a microphone tell your client that you would need an audio feed from the sound board.

It is also very important to attend the rehearsal, Fashion Shows would usually do a final dress rehearsal, bring your camera and tape the rehearsal. You would at least get the tempo of the Cat Walk and know what to expect during the show.

Most Fashion Shows are lighted so I don't think Lighting should be a bit of your concern. Double check with your client as well to be sure.

Finally if this Victoria's Secret. I'd be your 2nd camera guy. No charge. lol.

Anyway hope this helps.

Erick Munari August 14th, 2008 05:01 PM

Your guys are so good, thank you. Now, is there any reason I should shoot in Tv or Av modes? If so, what settings? I was planing on doing it all on manual, find the right white balance and do it 1080-60i.and finally, how do I get a feed from the sound board (sorry for my rookieness). Thanks again.

Troy Davis August 15th, 2008 08:17 AM

Erick,

My cams don't have av/tv mode to my knowledge so I'm not sure which would work best in this setting. This most be a HD cam thing. It sounds like you're shooting w/ one cam so white balancing or a indoor setting my be even better if there's continuos light change. If you attend the dress rehearsal you can probably test each setting to see which is best. As for the sound board feed I simply use my iriver 895 w/ a 1/4 or 1/8 cable to connect to the sound board. You can also connect via xlr if you have this type of connector. With my iriver I basically connect via 1/4 or 1/8 and set the recorder to line-in and it works great! The key is to make sure that you test the volume/gain or your recording device. Hope this helps.

Troy

Erick Munari August 15th, 2008 03:36 PM

Troy, thank you for the reply, it does help. As for the audio feed, can I connect an iPod there, with the right cables? Shooting is tomorrow, I am going to set a HV-20 stationary and have the XHA1 with me on a tripod in full manual, that's my plan so far, anymore tips will be appreciated. Wish me luck, I will get back to you guys to report.

Michael Ojjeh August 15th, 2008 08:06 PM

Check out this fashion show that was shot with 1H1 and 2A1.
The H1 was in the center and the A1s were on the sides.

Untitled Document

Troy Davis August 18th, 2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick Munari (Post 920887)
Troy, thank you for the reply, it does help. As for the audio feed, can I connect an iPod there, with the right cables? Shooting is tomorrow, I am going to set a HV-20 stationary and have the XHA1 with me on a tripod in full manual, that's my plan so far, anymore tips will be appreciated. Wish me luck, I will get back to you guys to report.

Hi Erick,

Sorry for the late response. I was busy myself with a wedding. I hope the fashion show shoot went well. You will have to tell us how it went?

Troy

Erick Munari August 18th, 2008 01:03 PM

Just got back from the Fashion Show, no edited images yet, but I think it went well. Everywhere I pointed the camera looked good. I will post some clips as soon as I get them done, thank you guys for the help. Erick.

Erick Munari September 26th, 2008 08:33 AM

clips

I have some footage edited from the show, it has been a month already, or more. Here is the link to some of the videos, make sure you click the 'high resolution' button where applicable.
YouTube - GOKA CLIP 2
YouTube - Goka at NY Fashion Week 2008
YouTube - Goka Sampler #1
YouTube - Goka Fall Preview

Thanks for all the help. More to come!
ps> the camera set up for the runaway was:
-Canon XH-A1 on tripod manned
-Canon HV-20 on small tripod low to the ground, unmanned.
Both cameras unmatched image settings on purpose.
Edit on iMovie 6, since my FCP5 crashed over and over again!

All input welcome. Thanks, Erick

Erick Munari October 17th, 2008 09:13 AM

one more: http://www.vimeo.com/1991637

Bruce Patterson October 30th, 2008 01:55 AM

I just got back from NYC shooting bridal fashion week and did mine with 1 camera on a glidecam w/ smooth shooter - http://www.cloudninecreative.com/runwayglidecam.mov

It would have been much better to film with 2 cameras but unfortunately we were only allowed 1 camera per company. I was glad I was able to glide along the runway though which hopefully helped give the clip a little more impact.

In a perfect world I'd shoot with 3 cams. 2 on tripods - 1 focussed on a medium shot, 1 focussed on details as the model walks down the runway and 1 on a steadicam or glidecam (if there's room to move).

Hope that helps!

Sean Paterson November 6th, 2008 06:07 AM

Fashion Show music issue

I have four (4) designer shows to film later this month in Cape Town and will
be plugged into the DJ decks, but with reading so much about music copyright
issues how do I cover myself against copyright violations ?