DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Tips for Shooting Larger People (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/128020-tips-shooting-larger-people.html)

Travis Cossel August 14th, 2008 10:21 AM

Tips for Shooting Larger People

I have a love story shoot coming up that involves a larger couple, and the guy is especially conscious of his weight. So does anyone have any tips to offer on how to shoot a couple that is overweight and conscious of it.

I'm looking for both shooting AND directing tips.

Paul Kellett August 14th, 2008 10:49 AM

Shoot in 16:9 then squash it to 4:3 !

Paul.

Don Bloom August 14th, 2008 10:59 AM

never shoot them straight on. Have them stand to about a 45 degree angle and turn their heads towards the camera to get an eye to eye look. Never light it straight on. If you are using available light only (mostly likely I would guess) then try to have them with the sun over their shoulders. Yeah I know it might be slightly backlit but the sun will then throw a shadow across the midsection and shadow out the near part of the body hence making it look smaller. Also try to get them to dress in darker clothing. Make sure they stand up stright no slouching and keep their heads up. Don't let them point their chins down. Double and triple chins happen then. Not real flattering.
Before hitting the record button look thru the LCD or VF and consider the lighting. A small move to one side or the other can make a world of difference. Never let them be in 1/2 sun and 1/2 shade. That make exposure really hard and could accentuate the parts of the body you are trying to minimize. Oh yeah try not to shoot them striaght on from the back either. It might not be a pleasant shot.
HTHs

Don

Tom Sessions August 14th, 2008 11:01 AM

Travis, I usually use a crane to shoot from above...no kidding!!! This works especially well with the women. When shooting at ground level, you can get closeups of faces. For full body shots, shoot from a distance with backgrounds such as the use of the chruch's architecture to take away the viewer's attention to the couple. Pose the couple peeking out from around a tree or use other objects like shooting from behind shrubbery to block the full view of thier bodies.

Louis Maddalena August 14th, 2008 11:05 AM

most important one: Get that camera as far away as possible and ZOOM! Lenses at telephoto make the subjects appear smaller.

A few years ago (I forget his name) a really fat news anchor showed up to shoot something in the lounge. The cameras were at the farthest possible location in the room because the telephoto actually makes people look smaller. Its actually surprising how fat he looked in real life and how he didn't look nearly that big on TV just by imploying this trick and a few different lighting angles like Don mentioned.

Kelsey Emuss August 14th, 2008 01:21 PM

I would recommend following some of the "rules" of photographing larger people...there are lots of little tips (I'm no expert on it but one I know for sure is to NEVER shoot them from below). Maybe try not to film them eating also...they may be self conscious about that also...I dunno...hope that helps!

Travis Cossel August 14th, 2008 03:25 PM

Thanks everyone. All tips very much appreciated!

Travis Cossel August 14th, 2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss (Post 920493)
Maybe try not to film them eating also...

Funny thing is, one of the first locations they mentioned shooting at was the pizza place they met at! Uh oh!

Kelsey Emuss August 14th, 2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 920537)
Funny thing is, one of the first locations they mentioned shooting at was the pizza place they met at! Uh oh!

Well there goes that plan!! lol!

Denny Kyser August 14th, 2008 10:47 PM

Although new to video, I am faced with this almost every day with photography.

Great advice above here are a few more.

Shoot from the highest angle possible.
If possible let the light fall across the woman, dont face her into it.
if you can lean them into somthing, so part of their body is behind, a wall, pillar door, anything shaved off helps and they will love you for it.

Oleg Kalyan August 15th, 2008 12:44 AM

Good notes above, to add,
shoot with longer optics, try not to use wide angles, it exaggerates forms

Louis Maddalena August 15th, 2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 920649)
Good notes above, to add,
shoot with longer optics, try not to use wide angles, it exaggerates forms

Great minds think alike Oleg.

Travis Cossel August 15th, 2008 01:34 PM

Thanks again for the additional tips, everyone. One of my plans was to have them seated, so you wouldn't be watching their bodies in action. I think that might help too. Sounds like lighting is a big deal, though, so I'll be paying much closer attention to that.

Shaun Roemich August 19th, 2008 11:03 AM

If you have the opportunity to light the seated interviews, the key should be on the "far" side of the face (the side furthest from the camera) and I'd go for a key to fill ratio of 1.5 or 2 to 1. Use harder light on the key and a nice softbox or bounced fill.

EDIT: A 1 to 1 key to fill ratio would mean they are the same. My stubby fingers neglected to type the".5"

Travis Cossel August 19th, 2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 922072)
If you have the opportunity to light the seated interviews, the key should be on the "far" side of the face (the side furthest from the camera) and I'd go for a key to fill ratio of 1 or 2 to 1. Use harder light on the key and a nice softbox or bounced fill.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.