Battery for Sony HVL-20DW2 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Battery for Sony HVL-20DW2 20

Hello,

I have a sony 10/20 watt on cam light that I use at weddings and it's a battery hog. Are there any recommendations on a longer lasting battery for this light? By the way, I have the NP-F970 battery. I'm also looking for lights that are similar suggestions?

The light can be found here: Sony | HVL-20DW2 20-watt Video Light | HVL20DW2 | B&H Photo Video
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

How long are you getting out of your 970? That's a pretty hefty battery and should last fairly well unless it's on it's last legs. IIRC that's the biggest one Sony makes, I usually go with the 7xx batteries myself for weight, but have a 9xx handy for backup. I would suppose you could make a belt pack using a dead battery for an adapter without too much trouble...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's an new NP-F975 that's rated a bit higher than the 970's. It's not a sony but I've been using this brand of batteries for a long time with great results.

Impact | NP-F975 Lithium-Ion Battery | NPF975 | B&H Photo Video

I haven't tried this one though. The "Impact" 970's work fine in my light and I wouldn't know why this wouldn't either.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #4
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Davis View Post
Hello,

I have a sony 10/20 watt on cam light that I use at weddings and it's a battery hog. Are there any recommendations on a longer lasting battery for this light? By the way, I have the NP-F970 battery. I'm also looking for lights that are similar suggestions?

The light can be found here: Sony | HVL-20DW2 20-watt Video Light | HVL20DW2 | B&H Photo Video
This is about 47wh battery. Your light should last at least 4 hours on it in 10w setting, a little less than 2 hours in 20w setting. May be you need a new battery if you are not getting this run time...
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks everyone.
Troy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques