DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Non-linear Wedding Highlights - Feedback Wanted (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/128481-non-linear-wedding-highlights-feedback-wanted.html)

Matthew Ebenezer August 22nd, 2008 05:20 AM

Non-linear Wedding Highlights - Feedback Wanted

More of my older work ....

Shot this wedding back in January. Recently, I went back and edited a non-linear version of their highlights film as an editing exercise to try out the style.

Any comments are welcome but I'm mainly after comments and feedback on the non-linear 'story' and if you think it works or not.

Ryan and Cassie - Wedding Highlights on Vimeo

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Bruce Patterson August 22nd, 2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer (Post 923393)
More of my older work ....

Shot this wedding back in January. Recently, I went back and edited a non-linear version of their highlights film as an editing exercise to try out the style.

Any comments are welcome but I'm mainly after comments and feedback on the non-linear 'story' and if you think it works or not.

Ryan and Cassie - Wedding Highlights on Vimeo

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Hi Matt,

Nice clip! Since I knew from the subject on your post that it was a non-linear highlights clip, I thought the best "way" to watch your clip was to look for any awkwardness. When I got to the end, I thought it had flowed perfectly! It made perfect sense for you to cut back to the prep. My favourite clips were the subtle moments you caught such as the dad behind the bride, the B&G's hands gently touching and the FOB choking back the tears as he walked down the aisle with her.

I actually stumbled on your work a few weeks ago and saw the save-the-date video you did which I thought was a great concept. It's nice to see such a contrast in how you edited both pieces and how they both completely worked in their own right.

Thanks for sharing the clip!

Danny O'Neill August 22nd, 2008 09:41 AM

For a moment there I thought your vimeo post said the music was by Bernard Manning, I thought WTF!

Oren Arieli August 22nd, 2008 11:49 AM

I think the non-linear style works well with your shots and the music. Its a tough balancing act between complete randomness and a thread of a story. You handled it with aplomb.
A few shots that stood out (but for the wrong reasons) was the bride's pose (head down, profile shot)...which seemed to repeat a bit much. And the perfume bottle...thought it was a bit like a commercial product placement. (but it was a beautiful shot nevertheless).

Travis Cossel August 22nd, 2008 12:07 PM

I think it worked just fine. I enjoyed it. Loved the shot of dad watching the bride in the big mirror (almost missed it).

I also checked out your "wedding invitation" video for your own wedding. Fun stuff!