DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Same Day Edit - Aug 23 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/128668-same-day-edit-aug-23-a.html)

Jason Magbanua August 25th, 2008 06:19 AM

Same Day Edit - Aug 23

I owe a couple of people here some video clip feedback but I'm posting just the same to keep the sharing on-going.

Czarah and Adrian on Vimeo

A destination wedding shot in the southern tip of the Philippines - Davao City. The wedding coincided with the local harvest festival so I figured to put elements of it in to contextualize the wedding.

As mentioned in another forum, I opted for a more atmospheric feel rather than a tried and tested booming score. Thanks for watching!

John Moon August 25th, 2008 07:37 AM

JMag...very nice. I really liked the intro with some of the 35 shots. Rich colors. Lots of emotion in this piece.

Monday Isa August 25th, 2008 09:43 AM

Hey Jason,

Nice clip. Enjoyed it. I like the feel through out and the presentation. Thanks for sharing. When you did the reveal shot with the glidecam of the bride at the ceremony and then the long shot of her at the door it would've been even better had that been a medium shot or the shot prior ended more at a distance to differentiate the two. That's the only thing I could pick out of the clip as the rest was just so well knit. Great job again.

Monday

Oren Arieli August 25th, 2008 09:49 AM

Beautifully done, it had emotion and grace....what more could you ask from a clip?

Sean Seah August 25th, 2008 11:38 AM

Wow those rolling shots r realli nice! I luv the few opening scenes.. realli well done as usual :) U must have had more than one camera to have the time to shoot those roller shots.

Travis Cossel August 25th, 2008 12:04 PM

Nice video, Jason. It looks like you're getting use out of your mini-roller device (can't remember what it's called). I have to say the video felt a bit too "green" to me in terms of color-grading. I love how you're experimenting with different types of music now too. This edit worked with the music for sure. Always impressed that it's an SDE.

Serge Satkar August 25th, 2008 01:45 PM

Very cinematic feel and look!
Do you have some preparations (music, titles, motion presets or so) before SDE to get such harmonious and whole-hearted video in such short terms?

Jason Magbanua August 25th, 2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Moon (Post 924527)
JMag...very nice. I really liked the intro with some of the 35 shots. Rich colors. Lots of emotion in this piece.

Thanks John!

Jason Magbanua August 25th, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 924581)
Hey Jason,

Nice clip. Enjoyed it. I like the feel through out and the presentation. Thanks for sharing. When you did the reveal shot with the glidecam of the bride at the ceremony and then the long shot of her at the door it would've been even better had that been a medium shot or the shot prior ended more at a distance to differentiate the two. That's the only thing I could pick out of the clip as the rest was just so well knit. Great job again.

Monday

Monday, I shall have to agree with you on that. I would have wanted to prolong the track on the bride from the side but the coordinator was right there in the middle and covered the bride immediately ruining the composition.

Reviewing the clip, perhaps I could have put the groom's reaction in between.

Thanks!

Jason Magbanua August 25th, 2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 924585)
Beautifully done, it had emotion and grace....what more could you ask from a clip?

Thanks for watching Oren!!

Jason Magbanua August 25th, 2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 924632)
Wow those rolling shots r realli nice! I luv the few opening scenes.. realli well done as usual :) U must have had more than one camera to have the time to shoot those roller shots.

For the preceremony, we just started really early to gather all the shots we needed. I was using the FX1 and the 2nd cam was an HV30 with a Brevis.

I had three cams during the ceremony for the walk. One on the bride, one on the groom, one on a glidetrack.

Thanks!

Jason Magbanua August 25th, 2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 924638)
Nice video, Jason. It looks like you're getting use out of your mini-roller device (can't remember what it's called). I have to say the video felt a bit too "green" to me in terms of color-grading. I love how you're experimenting with different types of music now too. This edit worked with the music for sure. Always impressed that it's an SDE.

Hey Travis, I retired the omnitracker for the meantime and have been using the Glidetrack.

Thanks for the comment. I'll have to keep that in mind, been watching too many Chris Doyle movies.

Cheers!

Jason Magbanua August 25th, 2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge Lebedev (Post 924677)
Very cinematic feel and look!
Do you have some preparations (music, titles, motion presets or so) before SDE to get such harmonious and whole-hearted video in such short terms?

Serge, I always think about the music first, the music will have an influence on the way we will shoot the wedding. Though the song choice was last minute, I always knew the clip I wanted (and which the bride wanted) was "moody" and "dramatic".

I do titles and coloring on the fly but I do pre-determine the look that I want. But this is also consistent with the music and the mood.

And I guess, we've been doing SDEs for the longest time that we've really gotten the hang of shooting and editing them. Doesn't mean it's less stressful, just means we're more confident to experiment and make them better.

Cheers!

Travis Cossel August 25th, 2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua (Post 924745)
Hey Travis, I retired the omnitracker for the meantime and have been using the Glidetrack.

Thanks for the comment. I'll have to keep that in mind, been watching too many Chris Doyle movies.

Cheers!

That's funny, I thought for sure it looked like a Glidetrack shot, but I didn't know you had one of those so I was assuming it must be the Omnitracker. Too funny. Why'd you stop using the Omnitracker?

Patrick Moreau August 25th, 2008 08:38 PM

Beautiful application of the glidetrack. That one shot with it was killer. I'm sure you know which one :)