Our Rigs & Can't-Live-Without-Tools at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 26th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Our Rigs & Can't-Live-Without-Tools

I'm new to this forum - feel free to straight up delete this post if it's too repetitive of things beforehand. I did some searching, not extensive, to see if this topic has been done before.

I am looking to begin advertising and pushing for more Wedding/Event business after I get married in October, and in the meantime I'm researching and looking around for what I'm going to buy as finances allow - meaning, as I get gigs.

Currently I have a Mac Pro (dual quad 2.8ghz with 6gb Ram, 512 geforce 8800, couple terabytes of space) and a 23" Cinema display (I work at an Apple Reseller so I got them as great deals).

I'm looking more for the filming/recording side. I don't want to know "what is the ABSOLUTE" top of the line. A lot of things are subjective. I'm wondering though, what you'd recommend as priorities. Here are my questions:

What camera do you use?
What is your favorite accessory?
What mics help you the most?
What tools can you not live without?

I've done wedding and event filming full time for 2 years previously, and off and on for the last 3 years, but I want to get back into it on an increasing basis.

I appreciate all help in this regard. If this post is deleted, please do PM me with some sort of guide in finding what I need to know.

Thanks!
Winston Hearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Right now I'm using an XL2 (now outdated... lol). But I'm probably going to get a Canon XH-A1. You will find a lot of people using this cam. It's around $3000 new.

The Item I can't live without is my monopod. This is a lifesaver during speaches and anywhere you need to be stable but might have to move.

There is lots of discussion on here about audio capturing. I have 2 Sony Dual Channel VHF lav mics/ recievers. and a Handheld.

A popular way of recording audio is with an iRiver. Just do a search on here for iRiver.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Major Player

What camera do you use?
Sony HDR-FX1 which is good in low light but the Canon XH-A1 is another fine choice.

Glidecam and Velbon tripods.

Sennheiser EW-112p G2 lapel mic and a Sennheiser MK300 shotgun. Although Travis has posted about the use of an Olympus DS-30 with a lapel mic as a good, interferance free alternative.

Glidecam, it is a tool but also my Windows Mobile phone. Sat nav to get to where im going and push email so I instantly know when I have a client enquiry. Often commented how fast we respond. We can keep in touch while on holiday or on a shoot.
But I also like my Vegas, camera bags, knee brace (for the long glidecam days), and my DVD burner (Richard knows what I'm talking about)
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What camera do you use?

I just upgraded to shoot in HD and am now shooting on the Sony Z7U and I must say I love it. I was previously shooting on the Canon XL2, which was a good camera, but not great in low light.

I like my monopod, my new LCD on-camera light is preaty cool too, but I need to use it more to really see if it was worth the extra money over the traditional on-camera lights.

Sennheiser G2 Evolution Wireless Lapel microphones are used on the Groom and J.P, and then I usually hide one somewhere in the reception area for the Toasts, etc. I use a Shure Sm-58 for interviews/well wishes. Other than that, I use my on-camera microphones for ambient sound and for most dances.

A good tripod, my "tool" kit for fixing things on the fly (really sucks when a screw comes loose on your tripod, and you don't have a screwdriver!). My "Backup" camera for that piece of mind that if something did fail, I have a backup to keep shooting.

Hope that helps.
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Trustee

What camera do you use?
—Sony FX1's (2) for main cams
—Canon HV20 for wide cam and hidden shots.

—Sony HVL-LBP LED light. Battery power with long running Sony NP series batteries and good throw. One battery lets me run all night long if needed.
—Juicedlink XLR box. I get super quiet in camera audio via two or four XLR inputs into my FX1's. The audio is actually quieter than what I have hear with the Z1 and it;'s built in XLR inputs.

—Wireless lav mics for wireless audio (I use Samson Micro32 Diversity Wireless)
—Rode M3 (cardiod mic). This mic rocks. It's beefy and enable me to record loud audio (DJ stacks and live bands) without clipping.
—AT822 is a great stereo mic.

My DV MultiRig Pro as I can load my camera up and shoot anyway I want (handheld/tripod mounted) fatigue free all day long.

—Bogen 561B Fluid Base Monopod. For those times when I need a monopod, this one rocks. The fluid base is smooth as silk and lets me get pans just like I'm on a tripod.
—Digital Audio recorders (Edirol R-44, Edirol R09, Marantz PMD620, Zoom H2). Each one is use differently. But by knowing that I am capturing great audio (off camera) lets me focus on my video while shooting.

—And of course a good tripod (Giottos MT-9180 Tripod Legs) and fluid head (Bogen 501HDV).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques