DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What do use to encode? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/128879-what-do-use-encode.html)

Kiflom Bahta August 28th, 2008 12:25 AM

What do use to encode?

What do you guys use to encode to DVD? thx

Danny O'Neill August 28th, 2008 01:03 AM

Sony DVD Architect 5

Oleg Kalyan August 28th, 2008 01:56 AM

Compressor, or Quicktime encoder on Mac

Travis Cossel August 28th, 2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 925987)
Compressor, or Quicktime encoder on Mac

Same here.

Bruce Patterson August 28th, 2008 02:11 AM

Compressor here as well.

Blake Cavett August 28th, 2008 06:39 AM

That's 4 for Compressor. Takes anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on length.

Danny O'Neill August 28th, 2008 07:08 AM

When you say encode do you mean to prepare the DVD menus and build the VOB files or just to render your timeline? We render directly into a DVD compatible stream from Vegas.

Peter Manojlovic August 28th, 2008 07:44 AM

Cinemacraft encoder (CCE), for all my MPEG2 encodes...

I'm averaging 3.8x realspeed from DV sources...

Taky Cheung August 28th, 2008 07:51 AM

Grass valley Procoder 3

Michael Liebergot August 28th, 2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 926087)
Cinemacraft encoder (CCE), for all my MPEG2 encodes...

I'm averaging 3.8x realspeed from DV sources...

Peter, how do yo like CCE?

I was looking at the plug in that will work in Compressor.

Earlier in the year I was curious about it and was looking for anyone with some exeperiece in it to give some feedback on it.

But, being that there's no trial version of the software, and $750 is quite a bit to drop on it I never pursued it any further.

Kiflom Bahta August 28th, 2008 10:43 PM

What encoder do you guys recommaned for PC based system? thx

Peter Manojlovic August 29th, 2008 07:44 AM

Michael....

I believe the CCE has a Basic version for $85...
Some features might be disabled. It's a speed demon.

The GUI isn't anything fancy, and you need to read the PDF, but once you get beyond the esthetics, and grasp the speed and performance, you'll be amazed...

Again, it's not as robust as compressor, but for DVD encoding, it's definately a Formula car..

Ramesh Singh August 29th, 2008 11:35 AM

ffmpeg: Works like a charm for both MPG (DVD) and HD
With "-threads 4" on a Quad Core, I am encoding in less than 2 hours,
what used to take more than 10 hours with CCE or TMPGEnc (MPG only)

HCenc is mentioned as being good too.

Michael Liebergot August 29th, 2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 926568)
Michael....

I believe the CCE has a Basic version for $85...
Some features might be disabled. It's a speed demon.

The GUI isn't anything fancy, and you need to read the PDF, but once you get beyond the aesthetics, and grasp the speed and performance, you'll be amazed...

Again, it's not as robust as compressor, but for DVD encoding, it's definitely a Formula car..

So Peter I take it that you have CCE basic?

I was curious how the image quality is for final output.
I have read that the CCE plugin for Compressor produces some ratehr stunning results.

What I am interested in is converting of HD QT render files from FCP to 16:9 SD files for DVD. Speed is important but what's most important to me is quality of the render.

As some problems arise form time to time with my HD down converts in Compressor to SD files. Also I have read that the CCE encoder is Hollywood studio quality, so the overall compression for final output is negligible and stunning.

Peter Manojlovic August 29th, 2008 12:50 PM

No, i don't have Basic...

Yes, results are stunning, but everything is subjective...
Some comments from serious encoders (back in the day) was that it tended to "Soften up" the image..But playback on an interlaced TV can't compare to complaints coming from watching interlaced material on a progressive monitor..It's just not a fair comparison.

I get a multipass encode, and it allows me to use up every bit of bitrate for the alloted amount..Especially important for scene changes..
And since 90% of my footage is interlaced, so i can imagine that progressive footage is stunning..
You can even get down to scene detection, and correct localized bitrates..Very powerful under the hood.

Your biggest hurdle would not be with CCE, but rather, how it gets served. My older version of CCE doesn't resize, crop, rotate, color correct etc...It expects a legal frame to get served.
The encoder will be at the mercy of the resizing alogorithm that's being pumped through her engines..