DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Celene Dion Must Die... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/128947-celene-dion-must-die.html)

John Knight August 28th, 2008 08:27 PM

Celene Dion Must Die...

Hi folks,

I can't take it anymore!!!!

My brides keep requesting Celene and Rod Stewart!!!! Arrrgghhh....

Can someone recommend some nice cinematic scores or modern romantic music (hold the cheese)

I like E.S Posthumus, and the "Nothing else Matters" from Metallica (but sung by that chick).

Please please please help, or I'll quit....

Tom Sessions August 28th, 2008 10:56 PM

Don't give them a choice. Pick the music that comes close to matching your video but yet reflects the style of music they like as best you can. They will end up loving what you do once you put it all together in a well presented piece.

Anthony Smith August 28th, 2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sessions (Post 926460)
Don't give them a choice. Pick the music that comes close to matching your video but yet reflects the style of music they like as best you can. They will end up loving what you do once you put it all together in a well presented piece.

umm how are you going to tell them what music they can or can't use?

John Knight August 28th, 2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sessions (Post 926460)
Don't give them a choice. Pick the music that comes close to matching your video

Cheers Tom - that's SO crazy it just might work!!! ;)

Any suggestions to boost my library?

Danny O'Neill August 29th, 2008 02:46 AM

We ask them for 10 songs they like and we will use them where appropriate. One couple wanted Jimi Hendrix and the Jam. So went for Charlotte church and some others instead. They were most pleased with teh result.

The music gives us an idea for their style and tastes but it doesnt always suite. We also may select music they have never heared of.

Im just hoping no one ever chooses Robbie Williams and Angels. Hate it.

Noel Lising August 29th, 2008 07:17 AM

Add Shania Twain ( From this moment) and darn pray they don't want the extended version coz you ran out of footage even before Shania sings and one of the best sellers from last season Bon Jovi ( Thank you for loving me)

Wedding is a personal thing so I guess the paying client decides the music. LOL

Chris Davis August 29th, 2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Smith (Post 926461)
umm how are you going to tell them what music they can or can't use?

I see the rest of you are from outside the USA so I don't know how it works in your countries, but here we can't legally use any of that stuff. I just tell my clients "sorry, that's illegal." I use royalty free music only. BTW, I don't shoot many weddings anymore, and this is one of the reasons why.

Noel Lising August 29th, 2008 08:03 AM

Here in Canada, I believe banquet halls & hotels charges music licensing fees to the B & G as part of the contract. They can use any music they like for their weddings ( even Music score for their Wedding Videos and Music played by DJ)

Tom Sessions August 29th, 2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 926476)
Cheers Tom - that's SO crazy it just might work!!! ;)

Any suggestions to boost my library?

John, It works just fine.

Go to pandora.com for music library ideas.

Travis Cossel August 29th, 2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 926565)
I just tell my clients "sorry, that's illegal." I use royalty free music only. BTW, I don't shoot many weddings anymore, and this is one of the reasons why.

Yeah, that would pretty much kill any wedding videography business.

Chris Davis August 29th, 2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 926574)
Here in Canada, I believe banquet halls & hotels charges music licensing fees to the B & G as part of the contract. They can use any music they like for their weddings ( even Music score for their Wedding Videos and Music played by DJ)

Same in the USA, but that does not cover music added in post in a video.

Dror Levi August 29th, 2008 12:23 PM

copyright music

I just thought of the interesting dillema that you had with copyright music in videos. I read a nice article about it. I'll post the link at the end . But the bottom line is that everyone does it and no one has ever got sued over it. The video is usually not seen by anyone other than some family members and this should be of no concern to you. The article gives some suggestions, none of which are useful, except for the only useful one saying:

"One way that some videographers have tried to shift or share liability is by explicitly stating in contracts that clients assume all responsibility for the use of copyrighted material. Since there haven't been any court decisions to set a precedent for the viability of this approach, "even if they question the validity of the contract," says event videographer Craig Seeman, "at least I've clearly specified in it that the use of any materials and their copyrights are the responsibility of the client." This approach should be considered essential when working with corporate entities that may take your work and distribute it externally, but it's unlikely that it would remove any legal culpability from the videographer. At best it may allow you to share, not necessarily limit, the blame in future litigation when capturing weddings, bar mitzvahs, and the like for individuals who insist on popular songs and don't plan on taking the videos further than grandma's living room."

So the bottom line is that you should not worry about this at all and use any song you want because the law is really not clear about this, and there is no clear way of getting licenses for the use of copyright music in wedding videos. The RIAA does not care about this.

This is the article...
EventDV.net

Dror Levi August 29th, 2008 12:56 PM

sorry guys
this is the original link EventDV.net

but it seems not to work anymore.

my replay was original sent to a friend regarding the same concern so i just copy paste it not realize that the article is not on the web anymore.

Dror Levi August 29th, 2008 12:59 PM

EventDV.net

Dror Levi August 29th, 2008 01:03 PM

sorry

I don't know why but i am not able to enter the entire link.
So just take my word that the link does not work anymore.