Tomorrow I start buying my wedding equipment. Please check my "To Buy" List - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 14th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Where do you position the lav mic on the groom? Putting it as low as possible on the groom may help to even out the level of the vows between the bride and groom.
I put it quite high, it records every whisper from the groom but I rather have it that way, the audio levels from the groom are always as they should be, only the bride needs quite some adjusting, that's because when she turns her head each time away from the groom to read from a page during the vows. I can hear some more noise from the adjusted audio from the bride in my headset but that one is much more sensitive then the speaker from a tv. On a loudspeakerset of a tv I hardly hear the difference.

Roger: I use a T20MX
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
Can someone specify what iriver model they use and what set-up works for them. I'm interested in looking at this versus a G2.
I agree with Scott. Don't be cheap with your audio.
You are taking a lot of steps to ensure that you are getting good video. So don't neglect your audio. the iRivers will burn you. And also they are hard to come by as they haven't been manufactured in 4 years. Only refurbished or used units can be had, and might or might not be reliable.

If you really want non-wireless recording, then look into the Zoom H2 (which is the cheapest of these), Marantz PMD620, Edirol R09HR etc. All of these units will enable you to use lav mic input if needed, line input, as well as built in mics for live recording. And best of all you can record in WAV audio format. MP3 sucks for audio capture. For ipod, great, but not live critical audio.

Now if you go wireless go with a Sennhesier G2 or Sony UWP-V6 wireless systems. Make sure that you DON'T purchase a 700mhz or higher system though. As these signal will be going away after FEB 2009.
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #33
Major Player

crap man, my G2 is 700Mhz series. i will still be able to use it, right?
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
crap man, my G2 is 700Mhz series. i will still be able to use it, right?
Don't know. It should work, but can't say about reliability.
Sennhesier has pulled their 700 mhz series units. So this should tell you something.
I would contact Sennheiser and see if they are dong anything for their customers.

I think that I read that they might be some sort of mods or exchanges.
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #35
Major Player

i will contact them this week and find out. I think for using it during weddings, it
probably would be ok, but know knows.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
i will contact them this week and find out. I think for using it during weddings, it
probably would be ok, but know knows.
I'm not worried and I've got a 700mhz unit. On the bright side... you won't have to worry about colliding frequencies with the church system because they'll revamp theirs first. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #37
Major Player

I have a Zoom H2, 2 AT Pro-88W's, and a Sony Bluetooth mic for my Sony HC3. The Sony bluetooth is surprisingly good and very simple to use. For quick stuff I often reach for it instead of having to wire up the XH-A1. If it's a stable environment I will use wired AT25 lavaliers (built in 20' cord). The Pro-88's are a little finicky for interference, like if you get too close to a fluorescent ballast or if the subject gets more than 25' away.

I'd like to find a Sony bluetooth with a mic jack that will work with non-Sony cameras. The model I have has a built in mic and requires the proprietary Sony hotshoe. Very convenient and great range.

The H2 has great sound quality but the files get quite large in a hurry. I don't see any low bit-rate settings. It seems to be all or nothing and the GB's start racking up pretty quickly.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques