DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Tomorrow I start buying my wedding equipment. Please check my "To Buy" List (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/129041-tomorrow-i-start-buying-my-wedding-equipment-please-check-my-buy-list.html)

Arif Syed August 30th, 2008 06:14 PM

Tomorrow I start buying my wedding equipment. Please check my "To Buy" List

Note - I already have a Canon HV20 so some of these accessories are for it and not the XH-A1

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3358/picture1bc2.png

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5918/picture2ih1.png

Also, I will not be buying ALL the equipment tomorrow so some stuff may be missing, but if you have any suggestions please state them.

Noa Put August 31st, 2008 01:08 AM

I don't see a wireless mic, I use 2 cheap irivers and a archos clipon mic which is excellent for capturing the vows.
F.i. you also could invest in a Zoom h2 or h4 for capturing live singing in the church, I have used my zoom h4 plenty times for this and it also captures sound with high quality.
Don't underestimate the importance of sound, this is half your product.

Danny O'Neill August 31st, 2008 02:11 AM

totally agree, you REALLY need a wireless mic.

The Sennheriser G2 is a good one but a cheaper alterntive is to get an Olympus DS-30 and a lab mic. HAve a look for a post by Travis as he explains his setup.

Youll get in a church, the echo will be all too much for your Rode and having a close lav can really help.

Scott Hayes August 31st, 2008 05:55 AM

buy photographic equipment instead. buy well maintained used gear, invest as little as possible.
that Libec is a nice pod, i have a bogen 3046, i will sell you for cheap, than you just need a good head for
it, save you $200 or so.

Josh Laronge August 31st, 2008 06:09 AM

Extra Batteries
LS-38 instead of 22 for the A1
Zoom controller
UV Filter for the A1

Niall Megahey September 1st, 2008 05:07 PM

Irivers! Best things i ever bought. so cheap. i have five now. turn them on, lock them and forget about them. oh and hit record:)

Chris Davis September 1st, 2008 06:11 PM

Yup, you gotta get a wireless mic. If you're short of funds, I'd pass on the Libec and Rode mic and instead get a used Bogen with a 501 head and a Sennheiser G2 lav system.

Tarmo Renter September 2nd, 2008 01:30 AM

Instead of MD-3000 light & sound bracket I recommend using Rycote Hot shoe extension.
They come in various sizes, you can mount 2 wireless mic receivers and a light for example.

We use 4" to mount Sennheiser G2 receiver and a light.

Rycote - Hot Shoe Extension
Rycote | 037303 Hot Shoe Extension | 037303 | B&H Photo Video

Joel Peregrine September 2nd, 2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niall Megahey (Post 927923)
Irivers! Best things i ever bought. so cheap. i have five now. turn them on, lock them and forget about them. oh and hit record:)

Ditto that. Fast set up. No more receivers on my cameras. No more transmission problems or the chance you're on the same channel as the church. Synch is perfect. The one thing I miss is being able to keep tabs on the groom before they come out for the beginning of the service.

Noel Lising September 2nd, 2008 10:03 AM

I keep hearing the Iriver being cheap, I googled Iriver and it cost $ 175.00 on Ebay where can I buy them? The H2 cost $ 200, I thought cheap would be half of that.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Blackhurst September 2nd, 2008 12:03 PM

Noel -
Prices on eBay are of course all over the place... as befits an auction system... and the 7xx series iRivers command a high premium typically - you can find the 8xx series at better prices, I just sold a couple for around $100 (got one 512M 890 left if you're interested).

Patience and a little knowledge about how to search listings and you might score one even cheaper <wink>, although both the 7xx and 8xx series of iRivers are becoming harder to find. MP3 players with less than a bazillion Gigs of storage and video capability are going the way of the dodo...

The advantage of the iRivers is they are fairly small and easy to stash in a pocket or whatever, smaller than most wireless transmitters... and the H2

Tim Gilbertson September 2nd, 2008 02:07 PM

I've heard okay reviews of the LS-22. I bought the 22 legs and use them with the 38 head. I really like the 38 head, but the legs are a little too easy to twist when panning. You almost need to have a hand on them a lot of the time. However, for the price they work very well.

I bought 3 Olympus DS-30s off eBay for $80 each and I truly love them. You get over 4 hours of recording time with them, and the sound quality is really good. They're also a fraction of the size (and price) of a wireless system. And syncing is a small inconvenience compared to interference on wireless.

T

Rick Steele September 3rd, 2008 06:10 AM

Dump the RODE videomic I saw on your list. You'll never use a shotgun for weddings (successfully).

Anthony Smith September 3rd, 2008 07:43 AM

dump the hard case, you will waste alot of time open and close that hard case.

get a soft padded bag instead.

Scott Hayes September 3rd, 2008 08:04 AM

I suggest a lowepro commercial AW. great bag! and a shotgun is useful for quick on cam interviews. I ditch mine for reception, because the onboard sony mics do a fine job.