1 Camera and 2 Cameras wedding videos - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #16
Major Player

correct....I always have a second person with me...most of the time it's my wife and the other times I have assistants that I hire to come help. It's a part time/ freelance job for them and they do have their own normal full time jobs. I usually don't keep them as long as I'm there either....start later and leave earlier.
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Major Player

Anthony 99.9% of my jobs are one camera thats just the way its done here i noticed people in the U.S tend to always use a second shooter. It's your choice if you can charge the second cameraman out fine.

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #18
Regular Crew

The biggest wedding i have done was about 700 guests and they only pay for 1 camera because the couple thought video was not very important but its good to capture something on the day.
Anthony Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #19
Major Player

one cam, sometimes (3%) 2nd for ceremony.

I can coordinate my work better this way - and offer not too many options sometimes is better too...

uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Smith View Post
The biggest wedding i have done was about 700 guests and they only pay for 1 camera because the couple thought video was not very important but its good to capture something on the day.
It upsets me to say it but couples always put photography before video i dont know why
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #21
Major Player

prosumer: pro is the image quality, sumer is the build quality.

you turn up at a wedding without a spare camera, gutsy play!
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
It upsets me to say it but couples always put photography before video i dont know why
Simple, photography has been around for years before video and everyone has been bought up with the idea photography is the thing to have. Lets hope the new gen start realising that's not the way.

Keep in mind customers compare to commercial product, pick up a magazine and the photographer can do the same shot for peanuts, watch a commercial and its 10k+ so the couple puts the photographer ahead as they can achieve supposed higher quality work then video. Which is of course not true, but that's how it is right now in Australia.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Shot another wedding all day yesterday (in the rain), and realised I'd filmed one of the bridesmaids as a bride over two years ago.

I always like to ask how they view their photos and DVD after a couple of years have passed and know what? She said (and her hubby agreed with her) that although the pictures were nice to have, technically excellent and so on, it was the DVD they returned to time after time.

'And to think we very nearly couldn't afford to have a movie done', she said. In hindsight she knows full well which medium encapsulates the day, the light, shadows, laughter, movement and happiness, and it ain't bits of 10 x 8 paper.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I always explain very carefully what client can advantage in resulting film having 2 cameras.. So about 15-20% agrees. Sometimes I work with assistant only to have more creative lighting all the way.. And I have unmanned wide-angle camera that is used on imporant moments. This camera can become manned if I work with assistant. Sometimes its footage helps great.. So when I speak about 2 cameras there are actually 3 for most of key points..
Serge Satkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #25
Major Player

4-cam minimum, usually 5-6, max I've done is nine. This is all by myself with no assistant unless they book more people. No cameras are ever static as I hate static, lifeless shots. I always move them when possible, depending on situation, obviously. Client pays for any cameras over 4.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Nine cams, one operator, all moving? Does not compute Marshall. Probably better to pay full attention to one and have the others running a backup and timeline options.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Nine cams, one operator, all moving? Does not compute Marshall. Probably better to pay full attention to one and have the others running a backup and timeline options.
It's difficult, but not impossible. And I don't make a habit of doing more than 6 in most cases. I actually have an article in EDV about this. And yes, while it's always easier to use one or two, using more is not impossible as some seem to imply.
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #28
Major Player

How do you move up to 9 cams - alone?

I think talking of a "moving camera" means a manned camera ??

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
How do you move up to 9 cams - alone?

I think talking of a "moving camera" means a manned camera ??

Uli
It depends on the situation, but let's assume a church ceremony. If I did nine cameras, I'll have the manned (my primary cam) at the front for the processional, hand-off, etc. It'll then be moved to the back aisle. There will also be one on each side, left and right, to get the bride/groom during the transition of when I move in the back. I don't typically use balconies and instead have another at the back, about 13' up on a supported light stand with lowered remote. I'll then have two, one of each side corner, focused on parents, g/parents, or whomever else sitting down. If there's an alcove in the back/side of the sanctuary, I'll put one or two there as well to get a different angle. I'll also have another that I mount to the aisle itself to get the back of the dress, any kids in the wedding party, and so forth. Depending on the situation either the primary cam or another will be used for various cutaways.

I always go back and forth to the cameras, when possible and appropriate, to adjust the angles, focal distances, etc. I am not one of those people who run all over the place, either, and move only when I realistically can, such as a transition within the ceremony itself. For instance, if I place a camera on a mounting bracket to focus on the grandparents, but know that I can't get to it, I am not going to try and disrupt anything to adjust; sometimes this happens but it's fine. I'd rather chance a shot with approximating a camera placement than be in the way in some cases.

Most all of my ceremonies are 4-5 cameras, typically 5-6 and the clients pay for anything above an alotted number. I've done 7-8 quite a bit and the most was 9 because that's what the client wanted.

It can certainly be challenging but it's not impossible. I started with two cameras years ago and quickly found it to be boring. One moving camera, one on the balcony on a wideshot - I just hated the look. I then quickly moved to three and then four, and went from there. Also, not every camera is on a tripod, either - I couldn't even imagine hauling nine tripods! I use a lot of brackets, mounts, etc. that work just as well as a tripod and have a much smaller profile.

It typically takes me about 20-30 minutes to setup everything, too. I'm very organized when doing things like this in order to minimize stress and maximize time.

If someone wants to book more than just me, that's always an option; if it's not booked, I only have others help when I feel necessary.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Even with two cameras, two tripods, two radio mics and two audio recorders it's still takes a great deal of time dismantling this little lot and getting it to the car for the drive to the reception venue. Time that I should be spending with the b & g outside the church of course.

As I've had the church locked behind me before now, leaving the locked-off cam still recording I feel I have to take the time to dismantle my kit and lose the shots that are happening every second outside the church doors.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques