DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   green screen someone to make them an online website host? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/129354-green-screen-someone-make-them-online-website-host.html)

Kell Smith September 4th, 2008 01:16 PM

green screen someone to make them an online website host?

Someone asked if I could do this. He'd want just a minute of an introductory walk-on, him or an actor.
I don't have a green screen - I'd have to make one or figure it out.
What do I need know to do this - esp. the web part - and what should I charge him? Am I in over my head?
Thanks

Edit ----
I want to get back to this guy tonight with an estimate. Anyone out there? What would you charge for that?

Edit
Echoes...... through the canyon..... hel-l-l-l-lp.....

George Kroonder September 5th, 2008 03:12 AM

I'm sure everyone would love to help you, but really there is way too little information in your post.

Your "walk on shot" may involve a fairly large area in view (to be masked out), possibly even a jib/small crane to make the shot. Studio space may be required as well as equipment rental and hiring operator(s).

There's no way to ballpark what you really need or can do.

George/

Matt Trubac September 5th, 2008 06:23 AM

I have spoken with some of the corporate web hosting and design firms who maintain a list of videographers to distribute to their clients for where they can go in their local area to have the footage shot. Their requirements to get on the list are fairly standard. They usually want you to have a storefront / studio, proper equipment (green screen, lighting, pro microphones), shoot in HD (they have all said HDV is acceptable), shoot a vertical picture for higher res head to toe, and charge no more than $150-$250 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. You would then upload the green screen footage to their server and they take it from there.

Chris Davis September 5th, 2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kell Smith (Post 929326)
What would you charge for that?

If they provided their own script, and all I had to do was shoot, edit and convert to a masked flash to hand off to their web developer, I'd charge $750.

Study up on keying and green screen. There is at least one tutorial that does an excellent job showing how to key in After Effects.

You can use almost anything to shoot a key on, but green or blue are easiest because they don't match skin tones. Better lit and a cleaner background (without seams) makes keying easier. If you're key is not so clean, you can finish it up with some tedious rotoscoping.

If you don't have an HD camera, turn your SD camera 90 degrees so you end up with an image that has 720 lines of vertical resolution. That's kind of a poor man's HD.

Kell Smith September 5th, 2008 09:55 AM

Whew! I knew you guys were out there! lol
I just checked out some helpful tutorials on YouTube so that's a good start.

I don't have a studio so I would probably go to him if he has the room. That's probably easier to arrange since I live 30 min from him anyway so he probably wouldn't want to drive up here.

Here's what I'm wondering. I don't think there would be a great amount of walking - not like bolting across the room or something. Just maybe a few steps. But I would show his whole body, which means I would have to have more than just a wall setup.

I can't afford right now to buy anything out there. It would need to be constructed on the cheap - paint or fabric. I wonder though, wouldn't it be more difficult to light than just a wall behind him? You can move him away from the wall, but if he's walking on fabric - or even paper or board - there will be shadows by his feet which will be difficult to key.

There would also likely be wrinkles.

Another thing - the lighting I have is a 3 point Lowell interview kit. So I have umbrellas, not softboxes - I'm guessing that wouldn't matter. but I"m wondering if it's as even. One light is out until I can buy a bulb so that leaves two. I can probably find a set of those work lights that someone in the tutorial was using. I have a friend who has a softbox -maybe he will let me borrow it.

Love the idea about the vertical shot.

Kell Smith September 5th, 2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 929635)
If they provided their own script, and all I had to do was shoot, edit and convert to a masked flash to hand off to their web developer, I'd charge $750.

Would I need to have Flash?
I think I have it for Windows (my main computer is my Mac) but I've never worked in Flash and know nothing about it.
Can I do the same thing - mask the background - in FCP or Motion? I also have After Effects but have yet to learn how to work in AE.

Edit- Oh, i see that post above mentions AE. I swear I'm going a million miles a minute this morning!

As for that turning the camera on its side - great idea! Great for vertical stuff. Too bad I can't do that for everything. =) I wish I had an HD camera.