DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Contract (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/129574-contract.html)

Noel Lising September 8th, 2008 08:55 AM

Contract

I shot a wedding last Saturday, I got into a discussion with the Bride about getting the payment in full 2 days before her wedding. She gave me a 12.5 % deposit to hold the date and the Contract clearly states, she need to pay me the full amount on the day of the wedding. To make the long story short, we made a compromise, she claims she did not read the part where in they have to pay the balance owing on their wedding day. She says it's unfair, etc, etc.

Is getting the full payment during the wedding day unfair? Am I alone on this one? Any suggestions?

Dawn Brennan September 8th, 2008 09:02 AM

I don't think its unreasonable at all... I require payment in full 2 weeks before. Get a bounced check once, you'll never do it again! I have only had one couple have a problem with it, and thats cause her sister's videographer never delivered the video. So I agreed to take 1/2 of the balance 2 weeks before the wedding and the remaining balance upon delivery.

Matthew Craggs September 8th, 2008 09:10 AM

I don't think it is unreasonable either. In fact, most weddings I have worked, either the bride, groom, or one of the parents was walking around with a number of envelopes with the different vendors names written on it.

Noel Lising September 8th, 2008 09:19 AM

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of pulling the plug but it's unfair to the photographer and assistant I had commisoned for that day. I am now thinking of doing what life insurance agents do. Read them the terms and conditions, make sure they understand before they sign it. We were professionals during the shoot, but you can "feel" the coldness from the Bride and relatives, we ate dinner before the reception shoot I had a feeling we won't be fed and I was right.

Don Bloom September 8th, 2008 10:25 AM

I am paid in ful 30 days prior to the event. As said before, burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me!

Most vendors are paid in full prior to the date - there are some that aren't but that's their choice.

Do 1 gig where they don't pay you before and chances are that's the one that will never pay you and now you've worked for free. At the very least do not edit the job until you are paid.

Most every bride I've talked to in the last 20 years is not only fine with the arrangement but expect it.

Don

Chris Davis September 8th, 2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 930808)
Is getting the full payment during the wedding day unfair? Am I alone on this one? Any suggestions?

The wedding day is busy enough without having to chase down the bride or groom for money. I require a deposit at the time of booking and payment in full two weeks before the wedding date.

Noel Lising September 8th, 2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 930866)
The wedding day is busy enough without having to chase down the bride or groom for money. I require a deposit at the time of booking and payment in full two weeks before the wedding date.

It never crossed my mind chasing the B & G for the money, I sometimes have to wait akwardly for the money at the end of the night. I'll try to do what you guys do. Thanks Chris.

Louis Maddalena September 8th, 2008 11:07 AM

I do 10% to hold the date, 50% one week prior, and the remaining upon delivery.

Tim Harjo September 8th, 2008 01:44 PM

As you can see, most of us get paid in full at least 2 weeks before the wedding. I've had a couple of situations that the family could not pay at the 2 week mark. One of them paid me on the day of the event. The other could not pay at all. In that situation, I still record the event. After all, they did pay me at the very least 1/4 down. However, I won't touch their material in post until they have paid. And we all know that editing is what takes the most amount of time.

Blake Cavett September 8th, 2008 06:02 PM

Let me get this straight... she signs a contract and then makes the claim that she didn't read over that part?!

Not to sound cold, but... that's HER problem. She signed her name agreeing to conditions she didn't bother reading.

It was nice of you to compromise, especially when you didn't have to. Were you out of line?! NOT HARDLY.