Printing DVD's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 8th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Printing DVD's

I looked in the other section of DVInfo and looks like most do as I am doing and print direct to DVd with Epson 280 Printer.

I hate the look and its not very acurate, Has anoyone else found another way to print DVD's with success, if so with what?
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, dont use colour printable disks at all. Ihate them personally, look home made, smudge if you touch them with even a slightly sweaty hand.
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Yeah, dont use colour printable disks at all. Ihate them personally, look home made, smudge if you touch them with even a slightly sweaty hand.
What do you use?
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Taiyo Yuden Watershield discs look good printed - better than the flat matt printables that are so common nowadays. Bit dearer though.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think the Epson printed disk look look pretty darn good. My problem with the Epson printer is that the I would go through one every 6-months or so. As such, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Pimera Bravo SE. I really love the unattended printing, but I don't think the print quality is better than the Epson. I do agree that the watershield discs are nice (sample came with the printer), but I only use Verbatim media. I use to use a variety way back when but it always came back to bite me in the you know what. I have never had a problem delivering Verbatim media to a client.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
The Taiyo Yuden Watershield discs look good printed - better than the flat matt printables that are so common nowadays. Bit dearer though.
Absolutely 100% the best dvds to use. I print them on a Canon pixma i4000 ( there are newer printers out there) and they give a stunning hi gloss professional finish which look as good as pro dvds..

Get the Watersheild. A bit more expensive but worth every penny and when clients see them they go "wow!"
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Major Player

My epson 280 is only a few months old and so many problems already. Now what you see on the screen is NOT what is going to print on the disk. I have a calibrated Eizo 24" monitor so it sure is not that. I deleted the printer and drivers and re installed it and it worked ok for a few disks, now right back to printing way too dark on DVD's I know they are cheap but when you have so many printers, deleting and reinstalling is not always a breeze, some times their are conflicts that have to be worked out. Just a pain.

For now I have came up with a nice clean design, Logo, Information etc and using only maroon and white with no picture. I figure this is better than a crappy looking well designed disk.

I may take the jump into something like the Bravo if nothing new comes out soon. Ideally I would like a stand alone DVD printer that works well for $300-$500. If I go more than that will probably get the duplicator too, or at least one that writes the DVD.
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Trustee

I've had an Epson R200 for two years and never had a problem - works well and the colors look exactly like they do on the screen, so maybe your printer is just a lemon. I primarily use a Disc Makers ElitePro duplicator, and the disks from that look exactly like the disks from the Epson.

Anyway, a strong endorsement here for the Taiyo Yuden Watershield disks. They are truly amazing. They're also available from Disc Makers as "Hydroshield" but that's just a rebranded TY disk.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Dymo's disk painter looks promising!

DYMO DiscPainter | Home

BHphoto do a video review of it here...

Dymo | DiscPainter CD/DVD Printer | 1738260 | B&H Photo Video
Brian Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
I looked in the other section of DVInfo and looks like most do as I am doing and print direct to DVd with Epson 280 Printer.

I hate the look and its not very acurate, Has anoyone else found another way to print DVD's with success, if so with what?
Lightscribe may be annoyingly slow, but I haven't had a single person that saw them and wasn't impressed.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Had an Epson and all the usual woes that went with it. Got to the stage it wanted taken out for dinner and a full new set of cartridges before it would even think about printing.

Got a Canon ip4500 and it is lightening quick in comparison and produces sharper prints from what I have seen so far.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
My epson 280 is only a few months old and so many problems already. Now what you see on the screen is NOT what is going to print on the disk. I have a calibrated Eizo 24" monitor so it sure is not that. I deleted the printer and drivers and re installed it and it worked ok for a few disks, now right back to printing way too dark on DVD's I know they are cheap but when you have so many printers, deleting and reinstalling is not always a breeze, some times their are conflicts that have to be worked out. Just a pain.
Stuff never prints out the same way as it is on the screen. Afterall, a screen is lit (and even uses different primary colors). But overall, yes, it does seem darker. I just adjust for this by brightening up the image if need be. After a few prints, you should be able to guess and get good.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Major Player

Might take a loook at silver printable discs. They give an entirely different look.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hp D5360

I have good results with HP Photosmart D5360...
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #15
Major Player

Lightscribe

http://www.mintyslippers.com/gallery/dvds.jpg

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques