DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Rates for Additional Copies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/129700-rates-additional-copies.html)

Miraj A. Berry September 9th, 2008 02:19 PM

Rates for Additional Copies

Hi everyone,

We've sort of reformatting our prices a bit to coincide with the economy, blah, blah, blah...

So we were curious as to how much people are charging out their for additional copies of the wedding DVD, per additional DVD.

And also, how much you charge for additional Save the Date copies.

We do custom labels and packaging, which, hopefully, would inhibited couple's copying them themselves and mailing them out, but we want to be fair and affordable, but enough to be compensated for the time to make the copies.

Thanks in advance!

~Miraj

Martin Mayer September 9th, 2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miraj A. Berry (Post 931558)
We do custom labels and packaging, which, hopefully, would inhibited couple's copying them themselves and mailing them out

I'm curious, Miraj: why would you think that?

Miraj A. Berry September 9th, 2008 02:27 PM

Not necessarily keeping them from making copies, but maybe making copies that they would pass along.

Meaning, we make the label and packaging appealing enough that it could almost be sent as a gift to their parents or grandparents.

I, personally, would make copies to back it up, but I'd leave the shiny Maxell label scribbled with Sharpie visible.

Steve Shovlar September 9th, 2008 02:27 PM

This is a point I make to clients. If they want extra copies please come to me and ask for them. Rivals charge £20 a copy ($40). I charge £5 ( $10). I make no money out of it but what I do get is a lot of goodwill from the clients who feel they are not being ripped off.

I make a point of saying, extra copies can be had at a nominal cost, so please feel free to tell me how many you want. The client is chuffed to bits I am looking after him. They pay a premium for my services, so I want them to feel like they are getting a good deal.

IN this day and age they could copy the dvd in a few minutes for £0.20 if they wanted to.

Miraj A. Berry September 9th, 2008 02:34 PM

This is what we were thinking. We're not trying to nickel and dime people, but there are people locally charging $50+ for each additional DVD, not sure about Save the Dates.

Thing is, there are parts of the whole process that we enjoy so much that if we weren't trying to make a living, we'd do for free. For example, I actually don't mind sitting there and burning off a DVD, and designing and printing out a label, but I do realize we are trying to make a living and should be compensated. And, for a really great couple, we might just throw in an extra 10 or 25 for nothing, as a lot of us may find ourselves doing. But for an irritating couple that's been nothing but a hassle, I doubt I'd enjoy burning and labeling their DVDs as much, and might even feel burdened and want compensation, at which point, I'd still want to be fair.

Travis Cossel September 9th, 2008 02:47 PM

I have my DVD professionally-produced by another company, so I charge roughly double what it costs me to help compensate for my time, etc. This comes out to $25-30 per copy for the client. I do agree with the idea of charging less for copies and charging more of a premium on your actual services. I wouldn't make copies "at cost", but that's just me.

Danny O'Neill September 9th, 2008 03:32 PM

£24 for one in the soft case and £14 in the cheaper ones. Some do their services rock bottom and make it on the copies, some are the opposite. Each to their own.