DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   First Save the Date - Fun with M&M (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/130807-first-save-date-fun-m-m.html)

SiuChung Leung September 14th, 2008 09:20 PM

First Save the Date - Fun with M&M

Finally, we got our very first Save the Date booking(actually, two bookings came together). Yeah~~~~

We spend a Saturday to do the filming, one more day to edit and here comes our first Save the Date video~~~

Grace & Devin Save the Date on Vimeo

Although is was freezing while we film, we still had a lot of fun with the couple (plus M&Ms)

We would appreciate any comments from you guys!

Cheers!

S.C. Leung

Travis Cossel September 14th, 2008 11:14 PM

I thought it was pretty good and the couple was having fun. On the shot where she knocks on the window and he turns around all suprised, was that him "acting"? I only ask because they didn't look like they were told how to react or anything, but their reactions were just so dramatic and fun and entertaining. I find it hard to get couples to loosen up so I can get those types of reactions.

I'm also glad you clarified the M&M shot at the end with text that said the same thing. It's a bit hard to read the M&M's by themselves, although they look really good with all of the colors and the perfect layout. I also liked how the font matched the theme. I'm assuming that was a font and not you just creating letters from dots, right? d:-)

I feel like I've kind of started a trend with the "date reveal" style of save the date. I love the creativity you used for this one. The only thing I might have done differently is incorporate the M&M's earlier in the story somehow. Not necessary, but it might have made the video a bit stronger.

Anyways, very nice and thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it!

Matthew Ebenezer September 15th, 2008 01:59 AM

Short and sweet! Cute couple, great intro graphics, sweet footage and a cool ending - I like it.

Not bad for a Kiwi ;)

Shaun Conner September 15th, 2008 01:53 PM

I liked it too. I loved the colors and the look of it. I think the music played well with the playfulness feel of the couple.

SiuChung Leung September 16th, 2008 04:05 AM

Thx Travis, Matthew and Shaun~

Travis: We told the couple to do a few reaction and that's the best one and the final text is font~~

Peter Szilveszter September 16th, 2008 04:44 AM

Awesome job. I liked everything about it. We're about to do our first Save the date (we'll be mixing it up with a love story) so should be really interesting, any tips that you found you learnt during the shooting for your first Save the Date?

Jason Robinson September 16th, 2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 934818)
I feel like I've kind of started a trend with the "date reveal" style of save the date.

Indeed! :-) Great ideas get refined and adapted to new uses and new situations. Congrats on being a trend setter. :-)

Jason Robinson September 16th, 2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung (Post 934800)
Finally, we got our very first Save the Date booking(actually, two bookings came together). Yeah~~~~
We spend a Saturday to do the filming, one more day to edit and here comes our first Save the Date video~~~
Grace & Devin Save the Date on Vimeo
Although is was freezing while we film, we still had a lot of fun with the couple (plus M&Ms)
We would appreciate any comments from you guys!
Cheers!
S.C. Leung

Fantastic! The length was perfect for grabbing the attention, showcasing the cute couple, and then teasing with the date. Any longer and you would have to have some extra plot devices to drive the need for longer footage. Any shorter and it would have been almost a waste of a shoot date.

I liked your use of DOF on the M&Ms and on other select shots. Very consistent color pallet and a lot of colors as well.

I liked the use of film "effects" to start things up but was glad to see that you did not use that for the entire shot. Just enough to get attention and then fade into the background and let the couple take the "visual" stage.

Travis Cossel September 16th, 2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 935606)
Indeed! :-) Great ideas get refined and adapted to new uses and new situations. Congrats on being a trend setter. :-)

Thanks. It's cool because I've always felt I'm on here just stalking all of these amazing videographers. It feels good to have contributed something of my own finally. d:-)

Miraj A. Berry September 16th, 2008 04:27 PM

I thought you did an awesome job, S.C., it was riveting! I loved it!

Kelsey Emuss September 16th, 2008 06:32 PM

LOVED it!!

SiuChung Leung September 16th, 2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Szilveszter (Post 935393)
Awesome job. I liked everything about it. We're about to do our first Save the date (we'll be mixing it up with a love story) so should be really interesting, any tips that you found you learnt during the shooting for your first Save the Date?

From our experience, I would say go to a location you familiar with because you will spend a lot of time communicate with the couple during the shooting. You won't have much time to think about the location.

Also, think of some scene or act for the couple to do.

SiuChung Leung September 16th, 2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 935623)
Thanks. It's cool because I've always felt I'm on here just stalking all of these amazing videographers. It feels good to have contributed something of my own finally. d:-)

You style of STD video really give us a direction to do our STD~

Travis Cossel September 17th, 2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung (Post 935808)
You style of STD video really give us a direction to do our STD~

That's awesome!