DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   My first wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/130809-my-first-wedding.html)

William Dortignac September 14th, 2008 09:54 PM

My first wedding

Alright, this is the first wedding I have done, and I didn't really even do it, cause I was one of the groomsmen. I only directed and edited it. I had my friends shoot it.

Gabe and Mandy's wedding highlights on Vimeo

I'd like to do a lot more wedding videos, but I have a really good job, and don't have the time to jump into something like that. So for now I'll have to stick with doing it for family and maybe an occasional friend. I don't ever really expect to get paid.
Anyways, I really wanna get good, thus the reason for posting this little clip. and I really would appreciate all criticism, suggestions, tips and help.

Thanks

Travis Cossel September 14th, 2008 11:21 PM

First, if you have really good job already and you like it, I wouldn't worry about getting into wedding videography. A lot of people jump in and realize it's not worth the hassle and stress. Others, like me, are crazy in the head and actually enjoy it for some reason.

As for the video, I think you may have mislabeled it. It plays like a trailer, not a highlights video. I expect a highlights video to be longer and incorporate footage from the getting ready, photoshoot, reception and so on. Not a big deal though, just threw me off when I first watched it.

I thought you did a good job considering you didn't get to shoot really. The editing was pretty solid. You might experiment with some black and white here and there. Thanks for sharing.

William Dortignac September 15th, 2008 12:28 AM

My bad, Your right. it's supposed to be a trailer.

No, I really just do it cause I enjoy it, it's a hobby I really enjoy. the only problem is if I only do my siblings weddings. I will always be in the wedding instead of behind the camera : (
I'd like to get good enough at it, so that I can at least offer to do friends weddings, and then at least offer them a decent product. I don't think I'll ever be able to charge for my work, but if I can give someone a decent video, and have fun doing it, then what harm is there huh?

anyways, I really appreciate your advice, Thanks!

Danny O'Neill September 15th, 2008 01:25 AM

William, great video. Great pace.

For us it started out as just one wedding with a handycam. Then decided to give it a go as something to help pay the bills and now its a passion. All in a little over a year.

The one bit of advice I can give to send you on your way is zooms. Try and avoid showing them. On the day zoom fast, capture what you want and cut it out in post. Sure its a second or so of the day you miss but thats fine, thats what the edit is all about. Typically a crossfade shows the passage of time but a nice straight cut to the beat can really add punch.

I think any relatives having you filming their wedding would end up with a fine production indeed.

Tim Gilbertson September 15th, 2008 08:59 PM

Yeah it looks pretty good.

But I have to agree with what Danny said; too many cross fades, and zooming is generally a no-no. I know you didn't shoot it so you can't really be blamed for that. It's also hard to read the text at the end, try putting a drop shadow or a light glow around it.

That was a gigantic wedding party!

T

William Dortignac September 15th, 2008 10:14 PM

Hey, thanks for all the tips! yeah, I didn't shoot it, but I still didn't know those things.
Seriously, I really appreciate all the help I can get.

yeah, it was a big party! I'm from a family of 14 and the groom has 7 brothers and one sister! throw a few friends in... It was tons of fun!