who's using digital recorders and what kind? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Major Player

who's using digital recorders and what kind?

The one that i have sucks. the audio sounds very low quality.. Before i mixed it with my shotgun mic so it wasn't a huge issue. I would like to upgrade. Anyone have any name brands that sound great. Preferably one that can be bought in a store like best buy, circuit city. I hate ordering off of the internet.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Major Player

I've been using the olympus recorders for 2 years and they have always worked great. I have 3 different models but they were all the same quality as far as I could tell and I just used lavalier mics with them. If you want to hear them, look for cheryl and kurts wedding trailer on my blog. That is what is picking up the pastor for that piece when he's at the podium.

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Matt, beautiful website for starters, i love the movie posters... I too have an olympus. the model number is VN-3100PC. From the way that your video sounded i'm sure you dont have the same one... Do you have a model number to recommend?
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks! The one I use the most and the one I used there was the Olympus WS-300M.
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks a lot... last ? does it work with a MAC?
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Stephen,
I use the Iriver 700 series and the Zoom H2. I use the Irivers with a GS lapel mic, and the H2 I typically use with just the onboard mics. I haven't had alot of luck with the H2 plugged into a soundboard, but the onboard mics are amazing. I love the Iriver also, I've never had it fail on me (knock knock) but it is a great little backup. I use the Senn G2 as my primary sound source.
Bill
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Olympus DS30's for me. I'm happy with them, and yes, they work with Macs.
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use the Olympus WS-311M with the Giant Squid omni lav. Works great for picking up the vows. If you're picking up an Olympus recorder, make sure that it can record in the Stereo XQ Mode. That is their highest quality setting for the voice recorders.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Major Player

For life events, I use an Alesis HD-24, which I combined in a portable rack with a Soundcraft mixer to adjust signal levels (it also has the mic preamps). It's a very heavy solution, but records phantastic audio. Recording each channel on its own track and not worry about mixing until post opens so many opportunities.

It's overkill for small interviews setups or dialog recording, but it's what I use pretty much all the time to record live events.

- Martin
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I use two Edirol R-09s (high quality but expensive for a portable recorder), and a few iRivers. From what I see here, the Olympus recorders look good, and I have been thinking of getting a couple to replace the iRivers.
Alan Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques