DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   The highlights - Helena & Constantine (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/133363-highlights-helena-constantine.html)

Artem Kudrov September 17th, 2008 04:22 PM

The highlights - Helena & Constantine

Here in Russia we can just admire and envy your style, guys! I have many favourite studious all over the world. One of them - StillMotion. So here is canadian style in russian maner :)

- Arthur

Helena & Constantine - the highlights on Vimeo

Travis Cossel September 17th, 2008 06:00 PM

Wow, that was a very fun video to watch. You definitely could see the influence of Still-Motion in there, and it was well done.

I loved the transition shot around 4:20 where the camera was pulling away from the couple. Very nice. Overall you had a really good selection of shots that really showcased the emotion of the day.

Some comments and a question ...

I would have left out the second ring shot because it looked so much like the first (with the ring rolling past).

The coloring could use some work to help with consistency from shot to shot.

And now for my question, what steadicam setup are you using? You had some very nice glides.

Vito DeFilippo September 17th, 2008 08:01 PM

Artem,

That is a great video! Well shot and edited. Beautiful. Nice ideas. I loved it.

A few suggestions. The voiceovers sound funny to me in the left channel. I would pan them to centre.

I found the dress hanging from the tree to be overused.

When they run up the hill, and you switch to a photo, I think it would be better the other way around.

Other than that, boy, it was great. I love that song, too. I'm working on a demo using it, but you beat me to it. Thank God you're in Russia...

All the best from Canada,
Vito

PS. Nice to see Travis give someone else grief about colour. I was thinking it was getting personal or something. I'll try to post something for you tonight to critique, Travis!

Travis Cossel September 18th, 2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 938725)
PS. Nice to see Travis give someone else grief about colour. I was thinking it was getting personal or something. I'll try to post something for you tonight to critique, Travis!

That's funny. Actually, coloring is the biggest gripe I have with my own work right now, if that makes you feel any better, lol. I'm still trying to figure out how to give a good "look" to a video.

Matthew Ebenezer September 18th, 2008 01:51 AM

You guys are cool!

Maybe a bit too long ... I find that song drags a bit so I usually edit parts out to keep things cranking along if I ever use it.

Great shot variety too!

Richard Wakefield September 18th, 2008 03:41 AM

i'm a seriously big fan of your work as you know, and i only wish i understood the spoken words in your pieces to help enhance it further for me.

my only worries about this clip, is that it's TOO 'stillmotion': the ring shots, the dress in the tree, the gliding-style, the quick panning transitions... it would have been nicer to see your own amazing quirky style coming through a bit more, as in your other clips

anyway, great work, love it!

Emily Howlett September 18th, 2008 03:45 AM

Great work Arthur! Looks amazing and a fantastic variety of shots too. I really wish I could understand what they were saying because I know it would take it to another dimension! Excellent work.
Emily

Carl Wilky September 18th, 2008 10:37 AM

I also enjoyed it, pretty dinamick and fun to watch.

The steadicam resembles still-motion, i would say its just like them because you do see some bobbing here and there, but I'm sure with practice you will achieve something better in the future.

My favorite shot was the one at 3:55, i mean that shot over his head almost look like you where running up the wall like those guys that do parcour stunts. just awesome.

Greenbelt Jump on Vimeo

Yes and what is your steady tool?

John Stakes September 18th, 2008 11:00 AM

Looks like you got some great footage! I really like the montage style. You were using a lens adapter on some of the shots, yes? I like the transition at 2:52...I think I watched it maybe 15-16 times before figuring out how you pulled it off.

thanks for sharing!

Jason Robinson September 19th, 2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artem Kudrov (Post 938643)
Here in Russia we can just admire and envy your style, guys! I have many favourite studious all over the world. One of them - StillMotion. So here is canadian style in russian maner :)

- Arthur

Helena & Constantine - the highlights on Vimeo

Amazing. I loved the shot at 1:25 with them walking out on the grass. The asymmetrical framing provides such an interesting shot.

Fantastic shallow DOF for the ring drop at the end so that they swung in and out of focus.

Artem Kudrov September 23rd, 2008 06:21 AM

Thank you, guys!
I agree with all your suggestions, now I see all mistakes I've done in this video. But I'm just trying to edit as quick as possible... wanna do SDE in the future... :-))
My steadycam - Glidecam 4000 with Sony EX-1. :-)

-Arthur