DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Demo permission from B&G? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/133476-demo-permission-b-g.html)

Asvaldur Kristjansson September 18th, 2008 05:12 PM

Demo permission from B&G?

First of all I would like to comment on what a great forum this is. I have been doing a few wedding video but would like to market my self more. Do you all get permission to post demos of B&G on you websites? also to use at bridal show?. I have a few samples of my work on YouTube - brudkaupsvideo's Channel
Other promovideo on YouTube - asafilm's Channel
--------------------
Z1, sennheiser 416, g2 wireless

Chris Davis September 18th, 2008 06:31 PM

Yes, it's in my contract. It allows me to use their videos for promotional purposes.

Dawn Brennan September 18th, 2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 939227)
Yes, it's in my contract. It allows me to use their videos for promotional purposes.

Me too. I did have one client ask for me not to publish their footage on the internet, and although I have rights to do it, I granted their wishes and kept it off the net.

Vito DeFilippo September 18th, 2008 09:01 PM

Yeah, put it in your contract. Though if a couple objected, why fight it? There's always another couple happy to see themselves on the web.

Tim Harjo September 18th, 2008 10:02 PM

yuppers.. put it in the contract and mention it before they sign so there are no surprises. When I first started out, I was worried that someone would ask me not to use their wedding as part of my portfolio, especially when the first few are crucial to show work history. But no one ever challenged me on it.

Oleg Kalyan September 19th, 2008 12:21 AM

Unless the couple tells me, signs the contract stating the privacy of their video, it's assumed that the footage, frames can be used in promo, that's how I see it.

Jason Robinson September 19th, 2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 939227)

Not only is it in my contract, but I've had clients that wanted specific things to be posted online because they thought it was funny (like my blooper, even though it was horribly cheesy, they loved it), and another one loved seeing their Photo Memory Movie online too.

Danny O'Neill September 19th, 2008 02:12 AM

Same as above, its in the contract that we own the material and can do with it as we like (worded a bit more pleasant than that) but they can request for it not to be if they like.

Asvaldur, get yourself over to vimeo.com, youtube has a big user base but isnt the best place to showcase your work. It reduces the quality so much it just ruins all your hard work. Get over to vimeo and enjoy HD goodness that really shows your work off to its best. Many people here use it.

Alan Robinson September 19th, 2008 12:04 PM

Its in my contract. Now if a couple asked me not to show their video I would have no problem in removing it from the website. However most couples are flattered that their wedding turn up on my website, as well as Vimeo or any other site that I put it on.

James Strange September 19th, 2008 05:19 PM

As with most others, I have it as a clause in my contract that I can use any material for promotional materials (including but not limited to my website).

Its clear as day, no small print, and I've only ever had one couple ask me to remove that clause as they didnt want it.

99% or more will be fine with it.

Just make sure you put it in your contract.

Only other bit of advice I'd add is to get there early, even if you end up sitting in your caer for 30 mins, better safe than sorry, I always like to get there at least an hour before the ceremony and even at that there;s been one or two times where some guests have got there before me!

All the best

James

Asvaldur Kristjansson September 20th, 2008 09:13 AM

Thankes for all your advices. And I will move my demo from youtube to vimeo as the quality is way better there.