First Wedding Trailer C&C welcomed! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Edwards View Post
Jason thanks again for the reference!
I went looking for the above based on your recommendation and was a bit put off by the $125 purchase price, but found a web site where they had a number of great training video for the rookie like myself so I though I would pass on the link for anyone following this thread.
Same here. That is why I picked it up used. I've already poured $400 or so into training materials (all the VASST series of DVDs) and I couldn't see myself getting that much out of a single "HowTo" DVD.

But the DVD does have a lot of specific tips for wedding videography (hand held & mono-pod) that are very helpful. I got my Von Lanken discs (art of moving camera and art of edit) used on the Classifieds here on DVInfo.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Well almost a yeat ago today I recieved my XH-A1 and wondered into shooting a wedding with it on day two knowing very little about what I was doing LOL. Since then I have been focusing mainly on live music performances and music videos. This last week I had the opportunity to shoot another wedding almost a year after you helped me so much with your editing guideance and comments on my first effort. Since then I have upgraded to Vegas Pro 9 and went through the Absolutle Vegas Vasst training (great stuff) so I am hoping you will see some imrprovements and I welcome your continued gudieance and comments.

Lynn & Donny on Vimeo

I also have started posting some of my photos, videos and music on a blog so feel free to stop by sometime when your bored :-)

MidnightStar Video - Louisville, KY BLOG

Jason, I truly have appreciated you taking the time to share your experience and in assisting me with evolving with the craft! It truly is appreicated. Hope your having a great summer...

Take care and god bless!
Curt
Curtis Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #18
Trustee

That was light years of improvement! Glad to see second cameras, tripods, good color matching, reveals, mix of medium & wide (could use more close ups of bride prep, but I loved the butterfly shot)

Editing technical aspect, I noticed a black frame or two right around the shot cut at 1:00-1:02. Check your timeline because one of the clips isn't snugged up against the previous one.

Good use of angles for your cameras for what would be a pretty annoying place to shoot (ie, any time you move near the couple you are very very visible).

Good framing on the couple for most of the shots. Next time see if you can swipe the coffee cup out of the frame and set it down somewhere! but I'm sure you noticed that and were annoyed about it too!.

I swear there was a 3rd and 4th camera in there somewhere but the vimeo post says two XHA1 cams. Because I see one cam from Groom side, one from aisle / bride side, I see a tripod hidden behind a plant for the closer shots and a camera shot or two from behind the preacher facing down at the couple. Did you move around with one of them to get four cam angles?

The colors where much improved this time around. I didn't see color problems between shots AND the colors looked pleasing.

No annoying focus issues (fortunately no gazebo for them to hide under or fan to interfere with your audio).

Some of the shots in the edit had some framing hunting (the cam op was still adjusting framing while the shot was selected in post). I know that teaching my second ops to keep their hands off the cam is very hard. I've worked with 3 different secondary ops and all of them have the habit of fiddling with the framing / zoom all too long which makes the shots useless for longer.

For the bride's audio, I would drop the music soundtrack even further and then play with the audio a bit more to bring her part out even more. If you don't have it, SoundForge is a darn good investment even if you only ever use it for the noise reduction plugin. But it also does some real good audio work (heh, it better, that is what it is supposed to do). I find that now that I have SF, the only thing I use Vegas for with audio is for levels.

And for real nit-picking, I see the cam op at 3:00-3:10 fiddling with something (f-stop / shutter) because the cam gets bumped a few times and then the picture gets a tiny bit darker then brighter. hehehe but like I said, nit picky.

The cam op at the kiss fiddled with the zoom (just a touch) and that probably wasn't needed. I know it is hard not to zoom for the kiss (heck, I find myself doing it some time, but I ALWAYS yell at myself after words for doing it). But you gotta break yourself and the other op of touching the zoom for that shot. Plan ahead, have one wide, one close, etc, but don't zoom on the kiss!

I liked the cut back to the butterfly after the ceremony footage. I almost would have used less of that shot at the start, and more of that shot at the end.

The ending water shot was very slick, but as you noticed, to freeze the water, you had to bump the shutter way up which cut out the light. Consider using the levels filter in Vegas to provide a bit more brightness (just a bit).

Ok.... fantastic improvement in the last year. Great job. By the way I played the old one and this one back to back so I could keep my frame of mind (good to know where you came from in order to judge where you are going). Great job!
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Jason as always, your too generous with your time and experince sharing. Excellent insights all of them, some self relaized some not. You always make me re-think and that is a good thing. Your a kind and gracious fellow and I have learned a lot talking to you! Thanks again.

Responses:
Yes I forgot to include on static HV30 in the mix in front of them looking up.

Already indentified and discussed leaving the camera alone!

Missed the black frames will check that out

Need to learn to use Sound Forge for sure....

Again thanks for all your input I owe you a lunch or dinner if ever up that way or if your ever in Louisville you better give me a shout!
Curtis Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques