DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Is "DVD Format" Mpeg 2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/134058-dvd-format-mpeg-2-a.html)

Kell Smith September 22nd, 2008 08:25 PM

Is "DVD Format" Mpeg 2?

Someone said he captured from Mini DV to DVD format and I am not familiar with the term. I capture in through Final Cut and they are .mov files. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

Peter Szilveszter September 22nd, 2008 09:09 PM

Depends what they captured in, but something like Nero Vision will capture in mpeg 2/dvd format which can easily be made into a dvd as no transcoding will be needed.

Kell Smith September 22nd, 2008 09:39 PM

Ok, now he says that they have actually been burned to the DVD.
If I were to edit his project - can usable files be made from that? He said he could have the original MiniDV files sent to him. I'm not clear whether he means captured files or the original MiniDV tapes.
I'm assuming that anything coming from a DVD would be a large degrade to quality? I"m waiting to hear whether it's a viewable DVD he's referring to or just files burned to it. I suppose if it's just regular files that would be ok .

As far as I can tell, he's looking for someone to help edit his project as well as teach him a little bit so that he can learn to do some editing as well. I'm not sure of the length of the project.
How would I go about bidding something like that?

Peter Szilveszter September 22nd, 2008 10:51 PM

Sounds a bit funny because if you were to capture MiniDv files to a disk it will be a lot of disks. Might want to find out what the file extensions are. I had a similar issue and the files ended up being MOD files from a JVC HDD camera, so I think before quoting any prices find out exactly what files he has created and then work out how much extra work its going to take to get that to your NLE. I've quoted for the hours of editing including the conversion time and and for you add in extra for the expertise to train him as well.

Kell Smith September 22nd, 2008 11:43 PM

Yes, I've asked him a few times what the file extensions are but he hasn't specified that. I will probably need to take a look at them.
The other variable is I'm not sure how many hours a project should take as I am still getting a sense of that. So he has my number and should call me tomorrow.
There are other factors, like he has a Mac but does not have editing software. So if he's planning to get that, then it might be more a coaching and guidance situation. If he wants to edit a long project, I'm not sure about that if he wants to edit along with me as I don't have an office - my working space is in my bedroom. So I don't want somebody here all the time.
I do need the job though. So I'll talk to him and get a better idea of what he needs. I'm not even sure what I should charge, hourly (no bedroom jokes out there, pleeze!). lol

Garrett Low September 22nd, 2008 11:47 PM

If he captured SD onto MiniDV tapes they are most likely .avi files. If he then just burned them to a DVD creating a data DVD they would still be avi's which are pretty easy to use. If he created a "DVD" that he plays on a set top DVD player they will be MPEG2 files packaged in files with a .VOB extension.

There are programs that can read these or take that VOB and convert them into other file formats. I know Sony Vegas has a specific capture for DVD's (as in the vob files) so that you can use it on their timeline.

If he captured the avi files from the MiniDV tapes then burned them as data files it should be around 13GB which is only about 4 dvd +r/-r.

Peter Szilveszter September 23rd, 2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kell Smith (Post 941338)
Yes, I've asked him a few times what the file extensions are but he hasn't specified that. I will probably need to take a look at them.
The other variable is I'm not sure how many hours a project should take as I am still getting a sense of that. So he has my number and should call me tomorrow.
There are other factors, like he has a Mac but does not have editing software. So if he's planning to get that, then it might be more a coaching and guidance situation. If he wants to edit a long project, I'm not sure about that if he wants to edit along with me as I don't have an office - my working space is in my bedroom. So I don't want somebody here all the time.
I do need the job though. So I'll talk to him and get a better idea of what he needs. I'm not even sure what I should charge, hourly (no bedroom jokes out there, pleeze!). lol

I guess ask what the length of the footage is and what kind of length of the project does he want and what is the project; a wedding, doco, promo etc.. all of these will require different level of post production which would effect the amount of time it takes, but if he wants to learn as you go I think you are asking for a lot of trouble.

Kell Smith September 23rd, 2008 09:21 AM

I'm hoping maybe he plans to buy edit software for his own computer and maybe needs some coaching to get going, and some guidance.
We should talk later today so I should know more.
If they are AVI files or VOB files, can I use them in my system? I have Final Cut Pro HD - the production suite - but not much additional. Am I going to need additional programs?