DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Getting Listed As Recommended Vender With Hall (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/134851-getting-listed-recommended-vender-hall.html)

Daniel Fessak September 27th, 2008 08:48 PM

Getting Listed As Recommended Vender With Hall

Hey there all...

I have searched the forums and haven't really found anything on this, so I was wondering if anyone here can help me. How do people/what is a good way to be listed as a recomended vendor with a hall? I heard someone once say to send them a copy of a wedding you did at their place, but that sounds a bit too simplistic. Do any of these places make you pay to be recommded with them? Any suggestions? I am in the NYC/ Long Island area if that helps.

Thanks

Marshall Levy September 28th, 2008 09:56 PM

Simply put, proper marketing is huge.....and as far as venues, send them a copy, a letter, meet with them.....it takes work to get work, money to make money.

Mick Haensler September 29th, 2008 07:17 AM

I don't know of any hall that will out and out recommend you because of liability issues. When I worked for a hall, we had a prefered vendor list, but we never actually endorsed a vendor. Most halls will want something in return for being on the prefered vendor list. I would offer to shoot a short promo for them.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Rick Steele September 29th, 2008 07:31 AM

Pay them - they'll probably even expect it.

Why would they do it for nothing? It's not like any networking rules apply here - like between video and photographers that have to work closely together. You need them more than they need you because the reception venue is usually always booked before you.

Kevin Shahinian September 29th, 2008 07:28 PM

Schedule a personal appointment with the catering manager/event director. Bring a demo and a stack of flyers or postcards. They'll usually let you leave some collaterals in their lounge area, if not include some in their packets to clients. Helps if you've recently shot there.

We typically include all the catering managers/event directors in our email list for next day edits and wedding trailers we post online - give them the greenlight to use the clips to promote their venue.

Bill Busby September 29th, 2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 944492)
Pay them - they'll probably even expect it.

Why would they do it for nothing?

I think that anyone who uses this philosophy hasn't really thought it out thoroughly.

It's not for nothing. IF someone they referred is done so because of the quality, professionalism of their work, etc., and NOT because they get some kind of referral fee, then that will certainly make an impression with the client and they will always remember that and will most likely refer the venue and yourselves in the future.

I've never done this referral fee thing. For me, it's just not ethical at all. If someone refers me, it's because they like me... love the work I do and know the client will be grateful for doing so.

Rick Steele September 30th, 2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 944846)
I think that anyone who uses this philosophy hasn't really thought it out thoroughly.

Bill, there's nothing for me to think through. This isn't a "philosophy" - it's just a business "fact" that's more common than you think which goes beyond us wedding pals networking and referring each other.

A lot of reception venues get a kickback because they, a.) either refer you or, b.) only allow you to shot at their location. Ethics and questions about fairness aside, this is how the wedding world often works and you'd be naive to think your product and good looks matter as much as they probably should.

But these places don't just allow the "highest bidder" to assume this role on their preferred vendor list. There are indeed criteria - most of which you mention.

I'm not saying I advocate such a system - but I do understand it though.