Weekly rate for long event question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Trustee

Weekly rate for long event question

Hey all,

I got an enquiry as to whether I would shoot an event on a cruise over new year's, and what my weekly rate would be. I've never done something like that, so I thought I would ask advice.

Obviously, I would like my flight and lodging covered, but what would be a fair rate to charge for shooting? Do you give some kind of multiple of a day rate? Is there a per diem?

Thanks for any input you guys might have.
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

absolutely travel costs need to be covered-let them buy the tickets from your home airport, take care of any rental cars and hotel bills.
As for rate, for a job like that it might depend on the number of hours per day you're going to work. The standard is 10 hour days, over that it's overtime, so you need to figure out the number of hours you'll be working per day. Past that you might give them some sort of deal like for a 6 day week you'll give them a rate for 5 daysor something like that. Maybe not charge them for all the OT hours or something along those lines. It's hard to determine exactlythe number of hours per day you might be working but by asking them exactly what you'll be shooting and the times they are and run you can get a better handle on it.
As for per diem, I would certainly charge that at least for travel days since on cruises food is included.
I actually did one like this about 7 years ago, they paid for my airfare, hotel for the night before we sailed and my day rate plus 10% as well as being able to sell over 300 dvds of the seminars that took place on the ship. It was a fun time especially since they also paid for my wife to go and the days were really fairly short. No full days but since I was not available to shoot anything else for 10 days I charged the 10% extra. The thing is this client was one I had done work for for 5 years prior and since so I had and have a good relationship with them.
Don't be afraid to charge the right price-you're worth it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Don, that's great info.

I guess sometimes I think "wow, you get to go on a cruise, you should practically pay THEM". Then I think I'll be away from my family stuck on a boat for a week working 24 hours a day and I should charge double. It's hard to figure out what's fair.

What's a regular per diem? $100?

Quote:
let them buy the tickets from your home airport, take care of any rental cars and hotel bills
Should any of that be taken care of up front by myself, and billed to them later?

Thanks again.
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

as for per diem, I don't think most clients would go for $100 but something between 40 and 80. remember the meals on the cruise are part of the cruise package. Also while not actually working 24 hours a day you are out of the workforce for that time. I only did about 3 or 4 hours per day of actual taping and zero editing while on the boat. Once the seminar was over I was done for the day. PARTY! ;-)

Anytime I don't have to put money out of my pocket I don't. Let them buy the tickets hotel etc. If you want to upgrade from coach to business class that's on you. You want a luxury car instead of a compact, your dime unless you get very specific in you negotiation with them.

Why pay and wait for the money?

Have fun,

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, Don. That gives me a great overview to help me build a fair quote. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:51 AM   #6
Major Player

And maybe you should check the terms of your insurance company. Is your gear still fully insured when you have boarded and go abroad maybe?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques