Question on setting up projector with sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question on setting up projector with sound

I have a wedding coming up and the couple asked could I do a slide show for them. Very simple just a couple of childhood pictures with music. What setup do you guys use to deliver this? Laptop or dvd player connected to the projector. Also how do I feed the sound to the DJ?
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Shaun,

I always use a DVD player hook up audio to the DJ's mixer & run a cable for the video from DVD to projector.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What happens if you are using the venue's projector?

Im thinking of using my laptop and getting a Y cable for audio, one side goes to the venue's speaker system, the other goes to my Sennheiser. Th reciever of the senn goes to the bands. Only down side is that the senn is mono.

Anyone have another suggestion or want to share their setup?
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tran View Post
What happens if you are using the venue's projector?

Im thinking of using my laptop and getting a Y cable for audio, one side goes to the venue's speaker system, the other goes to my Sennheiser. Th reciever of the senn goes to the bands. Only down side is that the senn is mono.

Anyone have another suggestion or want to share their setup?
Most venues would give you access to a video or VGA patch to their projector. I would not recommend using the laptop's audio though as the audio would not sound okay, in the rare cases that we have to use audio from laptop we bring in a DI box to compensate poor quality. I don't know why you need to send signal to your sennheser?
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Most venues would give you access to a video or VGA patch to their projector. I would not recommend using the laptop's audio though as the audio would not sound okay, in the rare cases that we have to use audio from laptop we bring in a DI box to compensate poor quality. I don't know why you need to send signal to your sennheser?
Im not using the speakers from the laptop, im using the 'headphone out'.
I guess its not worth the hassle of using the band's audio equipment? (I figured since they were using Bose, the sound would be 100X better than the venue.)
I checked out the venue's in house speaker, and they are okay with speeches, but it ruins a song.

Is everyone forced to use the venue's speakers too, if using their projector?
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tran View Post
Im not using the speakers from the laptop, im using the 'headphone out'.
I guess its not worth the hassle of using the band's audio equipment? (I figured since they were using Bose, the sound would be 100X better than the venue.)
I checked out the venue's in house speaker, and they are okay with speeches, but it ruins a song.

Is everyone forced to use the venue's speakers too, if using their projector?
I am forced to use venue sound. Until such time as I can charge more than $200 for my services so I can buy a projector (up to $1K) and a screen and my own speakers.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I've never used anything but the DJs or bands audio board. I keep cables and a kit full of connections to be able to plug into anything. The key is to make arrangements BEFORE the gig and even have the B&G call the band or DJ to let them know whats going on and see if there is a problem with you plugging in to their board for the short time it takes to play the montage.
If they have a problem with it then you have no choice. Either the house system or rent a set of speakers and a small mixer. House systems sound terrible but the choice is yours.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I picked up an Epson MovieMate 50 for slide presentations. I like it because it has the DVD player and speakers built in. - A nice option if you don't want to hook up to the DJ's system. It also has audio outs to allow you to plug into the DJ. It sells for about $650. I'm pretty happy with it.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Here in Mexico is a hit or miss situation. Sometimes bands or dj have nice people who let us hook our audio lines without a problem. But there are others who don´t want to help and also don´t care.

So, I was feed up with this kind of situation and became a one man band. I bought and carry one of this:

Behringer | B212A - 2-Way 12" 450 Watt | EUROLIVE B212A

Along with my epson projector, my colapsible screen, a little folding table and my dvd player.

So no more trouble asking for favors. When the projection time comes it just take a couple of more minutes to hook up the speaker to my dvd audio out, and away we go.

It has so much volume you can easily fill the entire hall. I rather carry my own stuff instead of being threatened by Murphy´s law.

My two cents.
Alex Pineyro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques