Highlight Video - first attempt at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Highlight Video - first attempt

Greetings,

Before I link to my video I just want to point out that this is my first real attempt at making a wedding highlight video. I've seen some mind blowing videos you guys have posted, and am generally in awe at most of the stuff.

Also, I know a few clips run a little long, and am in the process of tweaking still. Unfortunately, I was only allowed to use the footage I shot to make this clip.

Forever Cherished Productions - Wedding Videographers - Videos

I know the only way to get better is criticism, so lay it on me!
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm pretty new too at highlight videos... But I'll give you my take.

Love the ending audio.... Loved the speed changes at the cake cutting/eating
I agree with you about the length of some clips. The first clip, bride was talking but couldn't hear her. I try never to use people moving the mouth w/o sound. Also some background sounds could be taken out.(the photo session) Was the child of great significance of the B/G? if not... there is too much of him. He looked pretty uncomfortable in most shots.

Hope this helps!
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Trustee

Not a bad first attempt.
I liked some of the pacing, as well as your desire to keep it fresh and upbeat by using a lot of cuts as real speed video. Also, I loved the real audio of their intros, well done.

Now for the bad...There is to many clips where the camera is zooming in or out. Since most of these occur hen not much movement is going on, try adding some slow motion to these clips and start the clip after you have zoomed in. This should help create a more polished look.

Speaking of slow motion, also add some slow mo to the clips where you have camera shake (like the couple walking in the distance). You don't have to do much 75-85% should help hide some of the camera wobble.

During the ceremony, there are too many of the same looking shots (same angle). Since there really isn't any audio to go along with the clips, then try to add some different perspectives (closeup, low, medium shots) to the clip. This should help make it more dynamic. If you don't have any different perspectives, then pull a lot of those shots out, and sprinkle them throughout the video. So maybe make the reception the focus of the day, with flashbacks form the ceremony.

Something cool, could be showing the couple being introduced with applause at the beginning of the video, then show some establishing shots of the venue and decorations, going into bridal prep, guest shots, ceremony clip, reception clips, ceremony clip, reception clips, and end with their exit, last dance, or even the same intro clip that you started with.

Basically try to add more shots and keep them on screen for no more than 5 seconds. Even during a slow song, this can really tighten the edit up and add more information of the day. Also take out the audio from the ceremony if it's not important and let the music ride. if you use audio, then make sure that it's clean and duck your music bed down. just make sure that it's not dramatic, as it should feel seamless.
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Mary,

The boy is the brides son. I figured the few times I had him not misbehaving completely would be bettter than not at all, even if he looked uncomfortable.

If you think it's TOO distracting though, I can take a clip or 2 of him out.

Michael,

The shot of the couple walking in the distance is unfortunately already slowed down, but I can possibly slow it down more. They were way out in the distance and I was walking to join them, when I saw this shot, and unfortunately just wasn't really prepared for it.

I really only got maybe one other ceremony shot that I didn't use. There were 3 other videographers, so I was concentrating on specific shots. I can't use other people's footage, but I can use my own for promotional purposes on this wedding.

I agree with your assessments though, thanks :)
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mayberry View Post
Mary,

The boy is the brides son. I figured the few times I had him not misbehaving completely would be bettter than not at all, even if he looked uncomfortable.

If you think it's TOO distracting though, I can take a clip or 2 of him out.

Michael,

The shot of the couple walking in the distance is unfortunately already slowed down, but I can possibly slow it down more. They were way out in the distance and I was walking to join them, when I saw this shot, and unfortunately just wasn't really prepared for it.

I really only got maybe one other ceremony shot that I didn't use. There were 3 other videographers, so I was concentrating on specific shots. I can't use other people's footage, but I can use my own for promotional purposes on this wedding.

I agree with your assessments though, thanks :)
Were you the primary videographer for this event? and when I say that I mean, did the couple hire you and you had people come help you, or did the couple hire somebody else and they let you keep the footage for your own demo tape?

If they hired you, it doesn't matter who else shot the other footage, the demo is a demo of your company and not of you so you can throw in as many shots from as many other cameras as you would like.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Speaking of slow motion, also add some slow mo to the clips where you have camera shake (like the couple walking in the distance). You don't have to do much 75-85% should help hide some of the camera wobble.
thats great advice.. I know this will help out some of my shots in the future.

Aaron... In the opening shot of the bride. Did you add the vignetting in post. Or was this shot just how it looks?
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Stephen,
That was a post effect.

Louis,
I was hired by someone else to do it under their company name. But one of the stipulations was that I could use MY footage.
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Aaron, frame your shot and hold it steady. Much of your footage would be unusable to me. No amount of post can fix that.

Buy a spiderbrace 2 from spiderbrace.com and that will help you immensely. Or at least try a monopod.

Go here and study this: Cincinnati Wedding and Event Video Professionals - Forever Wedding Video and Photo Montage - wedding video cincinnati ohio - wedding videographers cincinnati - wedding videography services in cincinnati ohio, Cincinnati Wedding Videography, Cincinnat

Frame your shots, hold steady and hit record.

BTW, the above is not meant to be something to compare yourself to, but to aspire to. Larry at Forever uses a steady cam. I personally cannot come close to what he does, but viewing his work always brings me down to reality about my own footage.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 16th, 2008 at 10:56 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey Jeff,

Actually, I would typically not use any of that stuff either. But, I thought I had quite a few fun/active shots that kept the action alive and went with the uptempo pace of the song. My goal was to keep it fun.

Did you feel it was too overwhelming?

I know a lot of this stuff is in the eye of the beholder, and just because I thought it "kept up the action" doesn't mean everyone thinks "woooow, stop moving the camera".
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mayberry View Post
Hey Jeff,

Actually, I would typically not use any of that stuff either. But, I thought I had quite a few fun/active shots that kept the action alive and went with the uptempo pace of the song. My goal was to keep it fun.

Did you feel it was too overwhelming?

I know a lot of this stuff is in the eye of the beholder, and just because I thought it "kept up the action" doesn't mean everyone thinks "woooow, stop moving the camera".
I have to agree with Jeff here as well.
I didn't want to say it in my original post, but yes the camera shake and quick zoom in/out was too much for me. So for me the clip just didn't work

As was said, zoom in/out to frame your shot and let it roll. Use support either by shoulder support, tripod, monopod, steady device etc. to get steady shots.

It's ok to have a bit of camera shake here and there for that live reality in the moment feel. But the camera shakes or bobbles shouldn't be dramatic or extremely noticeable. That is unless you are going for that crashing into look.
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Actually the first video I watched is gone or something else, you seem to have changed it or I missed something.

The one you have up now is much better.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Wedding videography is SO tough to get right. I really appreciate your putting up your link. Watching your video actually caused me to re-examine my own work!

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 16th, 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
...Buy a spiderbrace 2 from spiderbrace.com and that will help you immensely.
That's a neat little gizmo, Jeff! WE'll have to look into that (until we're in a position to get our steadicam)!

Thanks for the link!
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraj A. Berry View Post
That's a neat little gizmo, Jeff! WE'll have to look into that (until we're in a position to get our steadicam)!

Thanks for the link!
If you want a sweet versatile (little gizmo as you call it).
Then check out the DV MultiRig.

It's by far the most versatile shooting support device for small to medium sized hand held recorders.

While it is more expensive than the Spiderbrace, it's waaaaay more versatile.
I shoot for 10-13 hours at a time with a loaded down FX1 (with XLR box), wireless audio, large Sony HVL-LBP LED light, shotgun mic etc., all MultiRig and no fatigue. Except for my feet. =)

But more importantly, from moving camera techniques to static shooting, my footage is rock solid in any condition.
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Nice, but it's the DV rig costs hundreds while the spiderbrace is under $100.

The DV rig does look great though1
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques