24p Low Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24p Low Light

So I need to get a camera that shoots 24p, but it has to shoot well in low light situations and have XLR inputs. Any suggestions? My price range is around $3000 and I also want a great picture when not shooting in 24p (obviously). ANy help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Panasonic hmc150. It does all you want, and it's as close in price as you are going to find.
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Include the Canon xh-a1 and i guess that's about it in the pricerange for camera's with xlr inputs and 24p possibility.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You should also look at the Sony Z7...or the cheaper Z7. These cameras shoot real 24p unlike the canon 24F. Also these cameras are great in low light almost back to the level of the PD170, especially in 24p mode they really suck the light in.

I have the Z7 and love it, it is a great camera. One of my friends has an A1 and since seeing the Z7 is considering swapping across to it.
Andrew Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What about ease of use? I'm an editor first, camera man second, so I don't really want something I'm going to have to take a long time to learn how to use or get comfortable with.
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just looked at the Sony. I saw some test footage that looks really good, but it doesn't seem to have xlr and over $5000.
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wheatley View Post
These cameras shoot real 24p unlike the canon 24F.
Canon's 24f is just as real as the other camera's 24p, it is true progressive and not interlace
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
What about ease of use? I'm an editor first, camera man second, so I don't really want something I'm going to have to take a long time to learn how to use or get comfortable with.
Any camera in the 3000 + range will take a lot of time to get comfortable with, if you want ease of use then it's better to get a Canon HV30 and only use the record button. :) Good camera skills are the very basics of every quality production, good editing can lift that to a higher level but if your camera footage is crap, not even the best editor wizard can save that.
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Any camera in the 3000 + range will take a lot of time to get comfortable with, if you want ease of use then it's better to get a Canon HV30 and only use the record button. :) Good camera skills are the very basics of every quality production, good editing can lift that to a higher level but if your camera footage is crap, not even the best editor wizard can save that.
So true. So true.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I know how to use a camera, I just mean I don't want to get a new camera a week before I need to use it and I have a try to figure out how to navigate a bunch or menus in order to change something basic.
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Canon's 24f is just as real as the other camera's 24p, it is true progressive and not interlace
I second this notion.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

lighting fans

Im going to be purchasing a light kit soon and I was wonder how
you guys deal with the fans on some of the light kits out there?
curious to see how you deal with it when making your films.Im
considering the kit below.

Thanks
shawn

2000 Watt Digital Video Continuous Lighting Kit SoftBox - eBay (item 310092937993 end time Oct-27-08 16:00:11 PDT)
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:26 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
I know how to use a camera, I just mean I don't want to get a new camera a week before I need to use it and I have a try to figure out how to navigate a bunch or menus in order to change something basic.
Then certainly don't buy a canon xh-a1, I was lucky that I have a rocket science degree. :)

Compared to my dvx100 the xh-a1 has a much steeper learing curve.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I have a Canon now, don't like the menus. Took me forever to figure out how to adjust the gain.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler View Post
Im going to be purchasing a light kit soon and I was wonder how
you guys deal with the fans on some of the light kits out there?
curious to see how you deal with it when making your films.Im
considering the kit below.
I've never encountered a light kit with fans. I'm not exactly sure who makes one with them. Honestly, if you're looking at buying some lights and they have some type of cooling fan built in, avoid them at all costs. The noise will drive you nuts.

That being said, that's certainly an impressively low price on those ebay lights. Do they have a fan? I need to take another look at the ad.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques