What do you do in the offseason? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you do in the offseason?

Or, do you even have one? In our region; Newport, Boston, Cape Cod; the wedding season is pretty busy - during the summer. It's a big place for destination weddings and our season usually runs early May - late October. Sure, there are some weddings in the winter, but it's rare.

Is anyone else in the same boat, and if so, what do you do? Commercials, corporate videos, or do you just enjoy the time off?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I visit my wife and children then. /:D

I"m glad I met an eventcoordinator who's been giving me assignments all trough the year, I don't have a wedding anymore for this year but instead I'm fully booked working for them untill end of December.
I only hope that between January and March not that much will come in as I have some urgent things to do around the house and I absolutely want to have a few weeks off without video before the wedding season starts again.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Major Player

My last wedding shoot is November 28. I survive on 18th Birthdays (Debut as we filipinos call it) which is all year round, I also survive on funeral shoots ( stress free shooting howver morbid it may sound). I have a full time job so that keeps me occupied.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Down here in the South we go year round. I've got 3 weddings in November 3 weddings in December, only had 1 or 2 in June. Go figure.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Edit, edit, edit.

And the odd corporate event if they come up. In the last couple of years, also, we've had more winter weddings, which seems bizarre in Montreal. I had three last December, have a few this Nov and Dec. The season is getting later, it seems.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Trustee

December/January is usually pretty slow for us, so my wife and I go travelling for a month.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Edit, edit, edit.
Same here. The months from October to May are usually pretty void of wedding work in my area. The product I produce requires a ton of editing time, so I usually spend October to April just editing everything I shot over the summer (in addition to a winter wedding here and there). It seems I usually end up with a week or two every spring where I'm totally caught up and have no editing to do. That's when I go to work on my marketing (like my website, for example).
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Major Player

I sleep.

And still get few shoots here and there.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Down here in the South we go year round. I've got 3 weddings in November 3 weddings in December, only had 1 or 2 in June. Go figure.
Ah, the South. I have have family in South Florida and have considered trying to market our stuff down there in the winter. It would be nice way to fill the slow season.

Right now, I'm doing this part time, but I wanna make the leap to full time. The slow season is the biggest thing keeping me from making that leap.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

This year is weird... I have 3 weddings in December, than nothing until April. I think I can use a couple of those months to catch up on editing, then maybe enjoy my family before starting all over again. "Wedding Season" is busiest from May to October here... this December is an exception.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Smyth View Post
What do you do in the offseason?
Hunt Wabbits

Ok, seriously, Yes I catch up on my editing. I would love to stay shooting year round. That is definitely a goal of mine.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #12
Major Player

My season is usually March/April to October, but like many I'm editing right up to Christmas (I have a few in Nov and Dec as well)

I do this full time and I've been lucky enought that the weddings sustain me year in year out. But its alot of work.

Each year I usually have none in January, 1 or 2 in Feb, then it starts up again.

So usually I take some time off in Jan, do the marketing thing (web, maybe cut a new demo, and there's usually a good few wedding fairs (xpos) in Jan/Feb.

Love the commet about visiting the wife and kids in the off season, I feel your pain!
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques