Just shot my first wedding...wow, I'm exhausted! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #16
Trustee

"Just shot my first wedding...wow, I'm exhausted!"

Sounds like you're doing something right! Welcome.
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I just finished my first multi-cam live mix webcast (say that 5 times fast) and even with a Libec & Matthews tripods, my two GL2s were wobbly when zoomed in to 20x. No panning motion was smooth. Even with all the slack parts removed fro mthe system (no beachtek, multirig, etc on any of the systems.

The shoot that far out and get smooth footage really must require an amazing tripod. With an equally astonishing price.
One of the guys I was shooting with had a Panasonic 500 ENG with a $30,000 Canon professional lens mounted on a very robust Vinten tripod. Definitely overkill, but he works with this type of equipment and brought it in as a favor for a friend. That tripod was so incredibly smooth, as were all the servo controls. Once you try that or a Sachtler, you realize what a difference a real tripod and professional controls bring to the table.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
Vito,

Interesting. I always thought I'd have two cameras for the ceremony, one in the balcony with a wide, safe shot to use as fill and a manned camera bouncing around for the best shots.
I have no assistant, and the way weddings are scheduled here, I'm usually racing from the bride's after taking a shot of her getting into the limo, hoping to get there ahead of her. I have to run in to the church, set a mic on the groom and podium, set up my tripod, change tapes, run back out to get a shot of her arriving or waiting by the door, and run back in for the start. There's no way in a million years I'd have time to get up in the balcony and set up a second camera. I'd love to have it there, but that's life. If you have time, definitely go for it. The added insurance is great.

Quote:
Do you typically provide a continuous version of the ceremony or an edited "highlights" of the ceremony?
In between. I present a continuous edit that feels like a full ceremony, but is shortened. Knowing what I will shorten lets me use those times in the ceremony to shoot many cutaways that I will use in the edit to cover the camera movements you mention.

Most of the time, I can find time during long homilies, prayers, and communion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques