DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   depositions/legal videos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/136658-depositions-legal-videos.html)

Jeremiah McLamb October 26th, 2008 05:34 PM

depositions/legal videos

Just established a good relationship with an attorney that does a great deal of business. He's asked me to come on board and handle all his video needs.

This world is new to me, but I'm catching on quick. I just need to get a feel for what the average rates are for this kind of work.

I've seen the common answer to be $80-$125/hr. Is that just for shooting a deposition? Do you charge the same amount when you're editing highlights from the deposition..or home videos...and making copies? Or do you charge a different hourly rate for any post work?

What about the day in the life of videos and video settlement brochures. Are those videos set on an hourly rate...or just an estimate for the whole shabang. I was told these kind of videos can be upwards to 6 months to a year in the making. My attorney said he's accustomed to paying $20,000 or more for these kinds of videos....sounds great...but I still would like a break down of what that money is actually going to.

How are you guys handling this?

Thanks
Jeremiah

Dave Blackhurst October 27th, 2008 09:28 AM

Well, for one thing, my understanding is that when doing depos you don't edit a single thing... that would be altering "evidence" - it needs to be time and date coded and certain evidenciary rules must be followed STRICTLY or it's tossed out...

Not saying that you can't do what's needed, just that you probably better learn what is required before diving in...

Jason Robinson October 27th, 2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremiah McLamb (Post 955883)
Just established a good relationship with an attorney that does a great deal of business. He's asked me to come on board and handle all his video needs.

This world is new to me, but I'm catching on quick. I just need to get a feel for what the average rates are for this kind of work.

I've seen the common answer to be $80-$125/hr. Is that just for shooting a deposition? Do you charge the same amount when you're editing highlights from the deposition..or home videos...and making copies? Or do you charge a different hourly rate for any post work?

What about the day in the life of videos and video settlement brochures. Are those videos set on an hourly rate...or just an estimate for the whole shabang. I was told these kind of videos can be upwards to 6 months to a year in the making. My attorney said he's accustomed to paying $20,000 or more for these kinds of videos....sounds great...but I still would like a break down of what that money is actually going to.

How are you guys handling this?

Thanks
Jeremiah

I just got into this market this year. set the cam and leave it. I work for a guy (who hands me leads and gets 20%) and he shoots with wired lavs, through a rack mount holding the mixer (up to 6 mics), a live DVD burner, a video monitor (again rackmount), a PC (for live streaming), a VHS recorder, and a switch / router (for his streaming system).

I shot one with a vhf wireless mic system and won't touch it again (9/10th of the way through somethign started spewing VHF frequencies that cut out one of my two mics). Now I shoot with a short stand mounted shotgun (for attorney) and choir drop mic on the table for the deponent.

my prices are on my web site. I have not done any "day inthe life" or any editing on any legal video footage.